Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a convenient place to tap into or splice into for power for a GPS? It takes hardly any current at all. On my KLR, there was a pair of unused wire connections in the fairing for the "city lights". On my ZRX there was a pair of wire connections in the tail for "accessories". Anything like this on the Versys?

Thanks,

Paul Streeter
Minnesota

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I have a TomTom Ease that has the built in suction cup holder. It's not waterproof, but it was only $40. I'm trying to find a mount for it if anyone has any ideas. I don't see my model listed on the Rammount's website.

·
Registered
764 Posts
using a quick search on this site, you will find threads on a stock outlet that is to the left of your fork when you are looking down at it (sitting in the saddle/seat)

the bottom two holes only require you to plug in blade connectors and you are good to go.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Running the power right off the battery with a line fuse is dead simple, and you will only need to remove your left fairing. I used a ram mount onto the clutch clamp. Click here to see a photo and review/install of my zumo onto my old 2007 Versys.

The only negative to this set up is that the power is always on regardless of key position. The GPS draw is minimal but you will need to either remove or power down the gps when not in use to protect your motorcycle battery. The positive as a Canadian registered motorcycle which cannot have the lights off with the key turned on is being able to program a route with the engine and all other electrics off.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you think you will ever connect another 12v accessory (lights, heated grips, power port, etc.), then install a fuse block. Makes multiple connections much simpler.
My $.02

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you think you will ever connect another 12v accessory (lights, heated grips, power port, etc.), then install a fuse block. Makes multiple connections much simpler.
My $.02
+1
I used to have my GPS straight to the battery, and also my heated grips. I got tired of killing the battery so I installed a Fuze Block. Way neater of a install now, and I know all the electronics turn off when I leave the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Wired the GPS to the battery with a killer switch and works fine. Battery is 3 yrs of age and no problem. Simple way to hook up the GPS..

:cheers:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks Capt. Kirk for your walk-through. I was able to install my power outlet in less than 15 minutes and I have ZERO mechanical or electrical skills.

I used your technique for installing the socket, but I wired it directly to the stock plug located 3 inches from the outlet.

Here is a photo of the completed project:

I love how I can just pull fairings off of this bike and do work on it myself. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment when you can work on your own equipment. Even my daughters said "wow Dad you did it yourself!". haha. When I say I have zero ability I'm not exaggerating, heck I can't even hang a picture straight.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks Capt. Kirk for your walk-through. I was able to install my power outlet in less than 15 minutes and I have ZERO mechanical or electrical skills.

I used your technique for installing the socket, but I wired it directly to the stock plug located 3 inches from the outlet.

Here is a photo of the completed project:

I love how I can just pull fairings off of this bike and do work on it myself. It really gives you a sense of accomplishment when you can work on your own equipment. Even my daughters said "wow Dad you did it yourself!". haha. When I say I have zero ability I'm not exaggerating, heck I can't even hang a picture straight.
Wished I had known this. Still, was easy to tap into the park lamp wires at the plug-in connector for switched power for GPS. They only draw a half an amp or something, so pretty much any circuit will work. At least for my 60cs. Did the same thing on both other bikes, works out nicely.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i use a ram mount on the handle bars, installed a powelet to the battery with an inline fuse and also installed an led switch in the dash, so i can turn the power on and off, rather than the constant.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i use a ram mount on the handle bars, installed a powelet to the battery with an inline fuse and also installed an led switch in the dash, so i can turn the power on and off, rather than the constant.
The stock plug that I used is not a constant on circuit. When I turn off the key/ignition the power goes out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote: "There are a few wires and a quad pin socket found at the Left Hand fairing"

Is this on the 2008 model? I have the fairings off and I don't see the extra socket anywhere. Anybody know?

Thank you,

Paul Streeter

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Quote: "There are a few wires and a quad pin socket found at the Left Hand fairing"

Is this on the 2008 model? I have the fairings off and I don't see the extra socket anywhere. Anybody know?

Thank you,

Paul Streeter
nope, not on 2008 or 2009.
I THINK that plug appeared in 2010
For the gps power on my 09 I tapped off the left running light so the unit powers up & turns off w/ the key

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nope, not on 2008 or 2009.
I THINK that plug appeared in 2010
For the gps power on my 09 I tapped off the left running light so the unit powers up & turns off w/ the key
Thanks, I was looking all over for this spare connector. That was my next thought, just splice into the left running light wiring.

Paul

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm also trying to run power to a GPS. I've got an '08. Can you describe a bit more how you did this: "just splice into the left running light wiring". Do you need any special parts to make the connection?

Thanks much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts