Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new 60%/40% on/off road tire from Continental, the TKC-70 ROCKS, comes in a 170/60 R17 that is only a little wider than the 160/60 ZR17 that come stock on the 2020 Versys 650.

Has anyone tried this new rear tire on a Versys or read about anyone trying it yet? The dealership worries the slightly wider size will rub against the trailer arm. They recommended seeing if anyone on the forums had tried it.

Am I going to have to be the first to try this and see how it goes after the tire warms up?

Maybe it would be better with the narrower but taller 150/70 R17 if it fits?

I have lots of hard packed dirt (paper/logging type) roads near and I am only looking for the best possible performance combination on these and onroad surfaces. I don't need trail, mud, grass, or a scrambler capability. After looking at all the options out there, it seems like this would be the best tire for onroad performance with 40% off-road capability for these hardpacked dirt roads. If only they made an exact fit... but 170/60 17 is so close!

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
I know that "jdrocks" used a 170/60 on one of his 'builds', but I use the 150/70 and 150/60 rears on MINE (mostly the 150/70) - here's a TOURANCE 150/70 just mounted.

DSC00244 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
410 Posts
I’ve almost worn through yet another 170 rear Shinko e705 this season. No clearance problems at all. Only issue I’ve encountered is the wide tire with deep grooved tread pattern throws dirt and road spray onto the chain, which results in shorter chain and sprocket life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that "jdrocks" used a 170/60 on one of his 'builds', but I use the 150/70 and 150/60 rears on MINE (mostly the 150/70) - here's a TOURANCE 150/70 just mounted.
by Ed Copeman, on Flickr
Thanks Ed! That gives me a bit of encouragement to pursue either option of going with a width of 170 or 150 :) .. I looked around for jdrocks' build but couldn't find it readily. It's in there somewhere:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve almost worn through yet another 170 rear Shinko e705 this season. No clearance problems at all. Only issue I’ve encountered is the wide tire with deep grooved tread pattern throws dirt and road spray onto the chain, which results in shorter chain and sprocket life.
That's great news Dave and inspires me to go for the 170 from the 160 width... I can't imagine the Continental 170 would get any wider after warming up than the Shinko e705 (but I won't hold you responsible if it does ;):D). Thanks for your reply!

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
174 Posts
The dealership worries the slightly wider size will rub against the trailer arm.
170 vs 160 is only 10 mm. That is 5 mm on each side. The rear swing arm has adequate space to accommodate such a small increase in tyre width.

Have you checked out the Motoz Tractionater GPS tyre? It is bidirectional in running direction - one way is standard, the other is mostly off-road. Tractionator GPS – MOTOZ Tyres – High Performance Adventure & Off-Road Motorcycle Tyres

Very few riders know of this tyre at all, leave alone using it. Chaparral on YouTube gives it a very positive review.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
170 vs 160 is only 10 mm. That is 5 mm on each side. The rear swing arm has adequate space to accommodate such a small increase in tyre width.

Have you checked out the Motoz Tractionater GPS tyre? It is bidirectional in running direction - one way is standard, the other is mostly off-road. Tractionator GPS – MOTOZ Tyres – High Performance Adventure & Off-Road Motorcycle Tyres

Very few riders know of this tyre at all, leave alone using it. Chaparral on YouTube gives it a very positive review.
The 170 width seemed fine to me so I was surprised the dealership had any concern so I thought I'd ask to be sure. Thanks for more confirmation!

Have you tried the Motoz Tractionator yourself? It seems that it would be quieter onroad due to the solid centerline, but still seems like a great 50/50 tire. It seems a thorough review is due for comparing all the options :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've run a Mitas E-07+ Dakar 150/70-17" and currently a Motoz Tractionator GPS 150/70-17 rear tires on my Versys. I have a Continental Conti Twinduro TKC80 120/70-17 in the front for ADV riding.

You can see them really well here: :LOL:
Great shot! :D
How does the Motoz Tractionator compare with the Mitas E-07? A little quieter onroad with that solid center channel? Just as grippy in the dirt? Have you tried it reversed? :p
Which feels better onroad for predictability and stability? Which is better onroad for vibration and noise? Which would you recommend if I am mostly going "offroad" on only hard packed dirt roads (no soft trails or sand or rocks)? How have you found the Versys to be as a 50/50 adventure bike?

Thanks for any and all answers you can provide to all these questions! Your feedback is that of a field tester and is invaluable :)(y)

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
174 Posts
The 170 width seemed fine to me so I was surprised the dealership had any concern so I thought I'd ask to be sure. Thanks for more confirmation!

Have you tried the Motoz Tractionator yourself? It seems that it would be quieter onroad due to the solid centerline, but still seems like a great 50/50 tire. It seems a thorough review is due for comparing all the options :D
How I wish I could. But the tire is unknown in India, nobody imports it and getting one for myself will cost a bomb. On top of that, the govt has restricted imports of all tires. And the final nail in that the Versys is shod with only imported tyres. The only alternative to the stock Dumlops is the TIMSUN line.

Most tire reviews that have a contest between the Heidenau K60 Scout, the Motoz Tractionater GPS and Shinko 705 give the Shinko top marks for the VFM state and the GPS for overall optimal performance. The K60 is said to be the best for dry highways and where longevity is the prime requirement.

Now I have given you a new headche- two more tyres vying for your attention 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most tire reviews that have a contest between the Heidenau K60 Scout, the Motoz Tractionater GPS and Shinko 705 give the Shinko top marks for the VFM state and the GPS for overall optimal performance. The K60 is said to be the best for dry highways and where longevity is the prime requirement.

Now I have given you a new headche- two more tyres vying for your attention 😂
:D
There are lots of good options out there indeed! I hope they start importing tires into India for you soon!

I think I will go to this 60% onroad and 40% offroad newly released Continental TKC 70 Rocks as my first new tire alternative. I will be riding onroad mostly and offroad mostly on hard packed gravel roads, so I am hoping this tire will work nicely offroad for these hard packed gravel conditions.

Now the question is do I go from the stock 160/60 size to the 170/60 (10 mm wider) or the 150/70 (10 mm narrower but slightly taller)? 🤔
Continental TKC 70 Rocks (only rear tire... it is meant to be paired with the non-Rocks 70% on / 30% off TKC 70 front tire as shown here):

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
174 Posts
:D
There are lots of good options out there indeed! I hope they start importing tires into India for you soon!

I think I will go to this 60% onroad and 40% offroad newly released Continental TKC 70 Rocks as my first new tire alternative. I will be riding onroad mostly and offroad mostly on hard packed gravel roads, so I am hoping this tire will work nicely offroad for these hard packed gravel conditions.

Now the question is do I go from the stock 160/60 size to the 170/60 (10 mm wider) or the 150/70 (10 mm narrower but slightly taller)? 🤔
Continental TKC 70 Rocks (only rear tire... it is meant to be paired with the non-Rocks 70% on / 30% off TKC 70 front tire as shown here):
View attachment 180607
IMO, you should go for the 170; you'll need that extra 10 mm as a kind of extra area to spread the strain of that off-road riding. Plus, airing down the 170 will be better than the 150, something on the lines of an tracked vehicle spreading the weight over a larger area this avoiding bogging down. Whilst in the army and operating amidst the sands of Rajasthan, I used to air down my wheeled vehicles and cross otherwise tracked vehicle only areas with relative ease.

Also, the slightly taller 150 will shorten all gear ratios artificially so the bike will become even more perky then it already is in all gears.

Kevin, seeing your riding terrain, I would recommend the GPS. It has a whole lot of more rubber to give longevity, in addition to the quite good grip with that reversible tread pattern.

Or, if you think you'll wear out tyres really fast, the Shinko 705s would be the best. They are apparently the most inexpensive tyres in this category and Eddie Copeman has excellent experience with them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great shot! :D
How does the Motoz Tractionator compare with the Mitas E-07? A little quieter onroad with that solid center channel? Just as grippy in the dirt? Have you tried it reversed? :p
Which feels better onroad for predictability and stability? Which is better onroad for vibration and noise? Which would you recommend if I am mostly going "offroad" on only hard packed dirt roads (no soft trails or sand or rocks)? How have you found the Versys to be as a 50/50 adventure bike?

Thanks for any and all answers you can provide to all these questions! Your feedback is that of a field tester and is invaluable :)(y)
Both the Mitas and Motoz have excellent road characteristics. I lean the bike over on the street and scrub the peg feelers all the time. They basically have no noise, knobby rumblings (rides smoothly). Both work great in the hard pack fire roads and trails where I live and ride.

I went with the Motoz GPS as they have a high silca content and have a high mileage 10k-12k. I have the GPS tire oriented in the 50/50 direction and not the 60/40 more off road bias direction. The Motoz GPS did very well in the hard pack. Not so well in the deep sand. Took a lot of work to get forward momentum and to get on top of the deep sand. Other than that it handled sand at higher speeds. No complaints about either tires. The Mitas was getting low and tread, so I got the Motoz GPS for this rally. I still have the Mitas and will use up the rest of the tread. The Mitas will probably get 5k-6k range for me.

I took several hard pack and rocky trails through the high mountain sierra forest, high deserts. You can see how it dealt in the sand in the video below, aired down to about 23-25 lbs. The 17" wheels didn't help also. I was warned that this GPS track was very sandy, I was ready for the challenge.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts

View attachment 180607
seems you're locked in on the TKC70s, but i don't see them performing any better than the Shinko 705s for the riding you describe. the cutoff is a tread like the TKC70/Shinko705 (there are many other similar these days) and a full knobby tread. it depends on where you plan to ride, and the road conditions you are likely to find.

i've run the 170/60 size rear, and that would be my choice in that style of tire.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Also, the slightly taller 150 will shorten all gear ratios artificially so the bike will become even more perky then it already is in all gears.
I MIGHT be wrong, but I believe that a TALLER tire will LENGTHEN your gear ratios - slightly FASTER at similar rpms, as you go a BIT farther - and MY experience - VERY PERKY...!

:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seems you're locked in on the TKC70s, but i don't see them performing any better than the Shinko 705s for the riding you describe. the cutoff is a tread like the TKC70/Shinko705 (there are many other similar these days) and a full knobby tread. it depends on where you plan to ride, and the road conditions you are likely to find.

i've run the 170/60 size rear, and that would be my choice in that style of tire.
Thanks for the response jdrocks! With a name like jdrocks I would have guessed you might consider the use of the TKC70 Rocks :D.
The Shinko705 looks like a great tire, and I like Yokohama tires a LOT which I read is their heritage. Most call the Shinko 705 a 20% off-road and 80% on-road, and this is why I was looking at the TKC70 Rocks which is being called 40% off-road and 60% on-road. Maybe when all is said and done these two tires wouldn't feel too different if I only ride it on hard packed gravel roads and pavement as planned.
I was trying to get as close as possible to a 50/50 without compromising the on-road capabilities much at all. Tread wear wouldn't be as much of a concern for me as I don't put tons of miles on the bike each year.
Here is the spider diagram that got my attention since it shows how the 60% on-road TKC-70 Rocks slightly outperforms the 70% on-road TKC70 in both wet and dry conditions, matches it in handling overall, and outperforms it in off-road use as well. The only expense is tread wear. And I lose SO much on-road capability if I go to the popular TKC 80. So this is how I arrived at the TKC 70 Rocks:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe that a TALLER tire will LENGTHEN your gear ratios - slightly FASTER at similar rpms, as you go a BIT farther
Yessaahhh! (Maine accent affected he-ah) ;):D

Similar to adding a tooth or two to the rear sprocket. More RPM at each speed.
More RPM at each speed means a slower speed at any given RPM compared. So you get nice torque and a slower speed per RPM and slower top speed. The chain has to turn the sprockets a few teeth more, so just as on a 10 speed bike if the tire stays the same size, and you change from 5th gear (small rear sprocket) to 1st gear (large rear sprocket), you go from pedaling slowly (low RPMs) to pedaling quickly (many RPMs) for the same distance travelled (same amount of rotation in the rear tire).

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The Shinko705 looks like a great tire, and I like Yokohama tires a LOT which I read is their heritage. Most call the Shinko 705 a 20% off-road and 80% on-road, and this is why I was looking at the TKC70 Rocks which is being called 40% off-road and 60% on-road. Maybe when all is said and done these two tires wouldn't feel too different if I only ride it on hard packed gravel roads and pavement as planned.
I was trying to get as close as possible to a 50/50 without compromising the on-road capabilities much at all. Tread wear wouldn't be as much of a concern for me as I don't put tons of miles on the bike each year.
i've used up multiple sets of 705s, although rated 80/20 or whatever they've been through poor road conditions that you most likely won't encounter. since i go through a lot of tires, price/performace/longevity is important to me, and shinko fills that slot in a non knobby tire. that's not saying there's anything wrong with the TKC, it's just a rider choice. i'd still go 170/60, that size was worth about 25% more miles for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts