Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a nail yesterday in my rear tire. They were a set of pilot powers with only 900 miles on them. I plugged the hole and took it for a test ride, so far so good. Called around locally for a replacement. Nobody had the pilot powers. My local shop had a Conti Motion in the right size. Anybody use them? I really would like to only replace the rear. The front still looks like brand new. Think there will be any issues with mixing the two?
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
288 Posts
ive got a plug in my rear tyre sods law new bike only 100mile on it.
I dont like it much ,relying on two wheels only, but its holding up fine.

If both tyres where not new I would have changed both for a better brand.
But with only 100miles I risked it and there is no probs so far

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plugged it with a kit I bought at walmart. It uses the stickey cord or string. Searched some threads and saw that most recommended a mushroom plug from the inside. One other thing I noticed later was that the tire has a narrow flat spot about an inch wide in the center of the tread. It must have happened from riding with low pressure?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I plugged it with a kit I bought at walmart. It uses the stickey cord or string. Searched some threads and saw that most recommended a mushroom plug from the inside. One other thing I noticed later was that the tire has a narrow flat spot about an inch wide in the center of the tread. It must have happened from riding with low pressure?
I hav e a cord (rope type) plug in my rear now, if done properly there is no problem. Mine has been in there for 5000 miles, and several long trip. no grief, I would not run a plug in a FRONT.
As far as the Motion tire, I am going to install a set this fall on my 08

one more thing , if you start researching the mushroom plug you will find they FAIL with alarming regularity if used for any extended period. many of us old hands have switched back to the rope type for this reason. It seems the radial tires tend to cut the head of the mushroom off after a short time causing a sudden loss of air

·
Registered
779 Posts
I run ride on in the tires. Pulled a 3 inch nail out of the rear last summer, and didn't have to worry about a plug!

·
Super Moderator
18,952 Posts
One other thing I noticed later was that the tire has a narrow flat spot about an inch wide in the center of the tread. It must have happened from riding with low pressure?
Sounds to me like from too HIGH a pressure (and few turns).

·
Super Moderator
7,766 Posts
Usually a well plugged tire is good as new, as long as it doesn't leak air. If you are not doing any serious tours and only commuting might as well use it a bit longer with an eye on it.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Radial tires tend to run a flat spot in the center, and get less miliage then bias ply.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Decided to go ahead and replace the tire. I mostly commute (40 mile round trip) but on some days off we might end up a couple of hundred miles from home. I will assemble a kit with a small compressor and plug kit to carry with me. Just glad this lesson occurred close to home!

·
Registered
288 Posts
commute 50 miles aday at mostly 80mph 5 days a week mines got the mushroom plug in it and looses no air at all.

didnt like it a first but im not changing untill i get enough wear out of it to warrent changing both to a better stickier pair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts