Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and for the last 3 years been riding a Super Sherpa KL250. Now looking at making a major change to return to "big bike" riding and the Versys 650 ABS is my preferred direction.

Previous bikes over the last 15 years:

BMW R1150RT
BMW R1100S
Honda R600RR
Buell XB12S
BMW R1150GSA
Buell XB12XT
BMW R1150GS
BMW R1200R Classic

before I came to Cambodia when I purchased the Super Sherpa and recently a Honda 110 Scoopy for city riding.

I have got another post to make so I will leave the remainder of the intro until then.... :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so here is post number two...

The Super Sherpa is 2001 model with unknown mileage (at least 50,000 km). Around 20k of that is mine. It is considered a big bike here (130kg) and probably now only puts out 11 or 12 bhp.

Speed is not importanbt. In Phnom Penh the average is 20kph and sometimes really fast at 35kph. You cannot go fast - it is too dangerous and you avoid travelling at night. I used to do a monthly trip of 500km and the best I achieved was an average of 70kph which was scary. Some roads are very rough and you can set up a cadence so you float over the ruts in the road.

The Super Sherpa cost $1700 and I have put about $2,000 into refurbishing it (wiring loom etc.) but I have to import all OEM parts from the UK or USA. Mind you the local mechanics make anything fit so only about 80% of the bike is Kawasaki :clap:

In the city I prefer the Honda Scoopy as it only costs $2 per week gasoline whereas the SuperShepra uses $5. The SuperSherpa, being short wheel base, is incredibly nifty and useful. I was thinking of importing the Kawasaki Ag bike from Australia.

Really I don't need more than 250-350cc and a big engine bike would be dangerous but the Super Sherpa is getting fragile and timew to move on. I thought of importing a Buell X1200XT Ulysses but it would costs as much as the Versys 650 as that is now assembled in Thailand.

So in the next week I make my decision.... Still have questions on the Versys 650 ABS but the can wait a day or two....:thumb:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have a '12 Versys but prefer a smaller bike around town. I like the Yamaha WR250X, about the size of the Super Sherpa but more hp.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
:welcome: what is it you do in Cambodia?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:welcome: what is it you do in Cambodia?
Just finished working as Admin Manager in an international school. Prior to that was a volunteer in Fisheries and then Youth Volunteering for Cambodian & UK Youth... :yeahsmile:

·
Premium Member
16,220 Posts
:welcome:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts