Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
White and cold here in Nova Scotia so I posted up an edit of my PEI to New Brunswick Bridge run past summer. The Banjo music kicks in about 2:45 :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hey Slyder, cool vid.

Plans in the works now for a trip to NS, Cape Breton, Cabot Trail, in July 2013. We are considering a run across Confed Bridge to PEI too. My Versys is by far the small bike in my group, and I worry about crossing that bridge on a tall/light bike like the Versys.

So, how was your experience, winds, etc??

·
Registered
687 Posts
I crossed the bridge on my V a couple of years ago without any problem. The walls are quite high and speed limit is low. Had to stand on the pegs to get a decent view of the water. It does seem to go on forever. We rode the length of the island then caught the ferry back to Pictou, where we found a very nice campsite in the provincial park just outside of town. On to CB after that. That was a nice trip, but it's far away. We took 9 days and we had to keep moving every day, rain or shine. It can be chilly on CB too; long johns are advised. IMHO, if you don't have any wind management issues and you are comfortable with the seat (stock or aftermarket), then the Versys is a great bike for the trip.

Edit: forgot to say thanks for posting the video, Slyder.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That is a long haul. Thought of the possibility of trailing the bikes for the long boring part, then parking the car and using the bike for the fun stuff at the coast. Can do a more "express" get there quickly in the car (ride straight thru to get it overwith) - much safer to do this in the car.

·
Registered
687 Posts
On that trip we actually did a loop up to Lac St Jean (up the Saguenay), and then crossed the St Lawrence by ferry at Forrestville. So we only reached NB by the third day, which is probably why it felt like it took so long to get to CB. My preferred way to get to the Maritimes is to go through the States, and cross into NB at Calais, ME. That way you can avoid all the stress of going through Montreal. And it's a pretty ride through the northeastern States.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes it is. Mind you, the old road next to the river (on the south shore) is quite nice, even though it goes through a lot of little towns. It's not a road to make time on, but there are twisty bits with nice scenery.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
There is a ferry from Saint John, NB to Digby, NS that will cut out 5 hours of boring 4 lane highway and make the rest of the ride a lot more interesting if you are coming up though Maine. Also there is a ferry from Picto, NS to PEI that will allow you to directly from the Cabot trail in Cape Breton to PEI and loop back to the main land via the 14km Confederation bridge. There is no toll to cross to the island via ferry or bridge but you must pay to leave.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Slyder, cool vid.

Plans in the works now for a trip to NS, Cape Breton, Cabot Trail, in July 2013. We are considering a run across Confed Bridge to PEI too. My Versys is by far the small bike in my group, and I worry about crossing that bridge on a tall/light bike like the Versys.

So, how was your experience, winds, etc??
I'd no problem with winds. I can see days it might be a concern and the bridge commission itself will restrict light or high sided vehicles in some conditions. As already stated the walls are fairly high so that might actually help a bit. Summer?...... Odds are very good you'll have no problems with wind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts