Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I did a test on two of my bikes, V1000 and V650 with two different LED headlight brands. My photos are far from perfect, but I did my best.

The one on 1000 is from LED Bulb for Kawasaki Versys 650 (2015 - 2020) - Mini Size

and the one on 650 is from Products for Kawasaki Motorcycles

Even though the one from Customled is cheaper, appears to be more focussed and have light spread closer to the Halogen bulb.

Please, also notice how brighter is the tail light on 650, the bike on the left. It has the Blaster X tail light from Customled that I have recently programmed.

In both bikes I covered with towels the axillary lights. In V1000 I have very powerful Denali, D7. It is crazy-bright.

My suggestion is to avoid getting LED bulbs with plastic base (the part that you clip in the housing). It tends to get easily damaged.

1000 low.jpg
1000 high.jpg
650 low.jpg
650 high.jpg
both high.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ok, I did a test on two of my bikes, V1000 and V650 with two different LED headlight brands. My photos are far from perfect, but I did my best.

The one on 1000 is from LED Bulb for Kawasaki Versys 650 (2015 - 2020) - Mini Size

Even though the one from Customled is cheaper, appears to be more focussed and have light spread closer to the Halogen bulb.

Please, also notice how brighter is the tail light on 650, the bike on the left. It has the Blaster X tail light from Customled that I have recently programmed.

In both bikes I covered with towels the axillary lights. In V1000 I have very powerful Denali, D7. It is crazy-bright.

My suggestion is to avoid getting LED bulbs with plastic base (the part that you clip in the housing). It tends to get easily damaged.

View attachment 180707 View attachment 180708 View attachment 180709 View attachment 180710 View attachment 180711
Third picture are V650? with LED from CustomLED?
Do you ever have any problem with lights?
You don't blind oncoming traffic when you have low beams ( from picture I can say high beam will blind areoplane in distance :) )

Also you say : My suggestion is to avoid getting LED bulbs with plastic base
I look link which you put for V650 and on 1 picture I see plastic base (or is that only cover to protect metal base) but on other pictures I see metal base.
Which one from this two are correct?
And do you need some other extra parts to connect this LED lights or you can do all with OEM parts (just unplug OEM lights and connect this one).

I am really interesting for buying this stuff, because with this bright lights I don't need fog lights for extra visibilitty.
Also does this LED have little fan, or are without fan?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Third picture are V650? with LED from CustomLED?
Do you ever have any problem with lights?
You don't blind oncoming traffic when you have low beams ( from picture I can say high beam will blind areoplane in distance :) )

Also you say : My suggestion is to avoid getting LED bulbs with plastic base
I look link which you put for V650 and on 1 picture I see plastic base (or is that only cover to protect metal base) but on other pictures I see metal base.
Which one from this two are correct?
And do you need some other extra parts to connect this LED lights or you can do all with OEM parts (just unplug OEM lights and connect this one).

I am really interesting for buying this stuff, because with this bright lights I don't need fog lights for extra visibilitty.
Also does this LED have little fan, or are without fan?
yes, the 3rd picture is 650.

Due to the angle the photos were taken, it appears that the low beam is pointing higher than it does in reality. Anyway, there are nuts at the back of the headlight assembly where you can adjust the beams to your liking.

As to the plastic base, are you referring to the picture you see on the website? The base is black, so it looks like plastic, but it is made of metal.

You do not need extra parts, but in some bulbs you need to bend a bit the spring, because as you are fitting the bulb into the base, it presses the protruding part. With the Ledperf bulb, maybe bending is not needed, as it is sitting further from the clip. I say maybe, because my springs were already bent from a previous time. Another way, if the spring stands in the way, is to unscrew and point in opposite direction the metal part into which the spring clips, which moves the protruding part more aside. Also you need to make a small hole in the middle of the rubber boot, or as I did in V1000, get a different rubbers which have already hole in the middle; like from Ninja650

it is also a good idea to replace the parking lights with LED bulbs.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

View attachment 180707 View attachment 180708 View attachment 180709 View attachment 180710 View attachment 180711
thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
yes, the 3rd picture is 650.

Due to the angle the photos were taken, it appears that the low beam is pointing higher than it does in reality. Anyway, there are nuts at the back of the headlight assembly where you can adjust the beams to your liking.

As to the plastic base, are you referring to the picture you see on the website? The base is black, so it looks like plastic, but it is made of metal.

You do not need extra parts, but in some bulbs you need to bend a bit the spring, because as you are fitting the bulb into the base, it presses the protruding part. With the Ledperf bulb, maybe bending is not needed, as it is sitting further from the clip. I say maybe, because my springs were already bent from a previous time. Another way, if the spring stands in the way, is to unscrew and point in opposite direction the metal part into which the spring clips, which moves the protruding part more aside. Also you need to make a small hole in the middle of the rubber boot, or as I did in V1000, get a different rubbers which have already hole in the middle; like from Ninja650

it is also a good idea to replace the parking lights with LED bulbs.
Thank you.
For me it is really important to not blind oncoming traffic, but on picture which you place i can see that this LED will not blind traffic.

Also this rubber which you say I need to make hole or buy from Ninja which already have hole, I see here on forum somebody use muffin rubber mold, it is not expensive and it is thick and resistant to high temperatures so the LED will not melt that rubber mold.

last 1 month I have a lot of rides when it's sunset and when I get home it's night, so i notice that lights can bi more bright than OEM.
I found in my country many LED lights which will fit in V650, but I can't find any picture how they look in traffic,will I blind the oncoming traffic, they always add pictures for car (So I don't know how light will).

But this picture which you add it gives me a 100% real picture of what the light beam will look like at night.

I ask them if they have dealer in Europe so I don't need to pay expensive shipping from USA, and to avoid paying customs, but this was they answer.
We do have a couple of dealers, but they do not stock our headlight bulbs unfortunately.

So this light which you have in V1000, they also don't blind oncoming traffic?
Which is better in your opinion LED from V650 or from V1000?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you.
For me it is really important to not blind oncoming traffic, but on picture which you place i can see that this LED will not blind traffic.

Also this rubber which you say I need to make hole or buy from Ninja which already have hole, I see here on forum somebody use muffin rubber mold, it is not expensive and it is thick and resistant to high temperatures so the LED will not melt that rubber mold.

last 1 month I have a lot of rides when it's sunset and when I get home it's night, so i notice that lights can bi more bright than OEM.
I found in my country many LED lights which will fit in V650, but I can't find any picture how they look in traffic,will I blind the oncoming traffic, they always add pictures for car (So I don't know how light will).

But this picture which you add it gives me a 100% real picture of what the light beam will look like at night.

I ask them if they have dealer in Europe so I don't need to pay expensive shipping from USA, and to avoid paying customs, but this was they answer.
We do have a couple of dealers, but they do not stock our headlight bulbs unfortunately.

So this light which you have in V1000, they also don't blind oncoming traffic?
Which is better in your opinion LED from V650 or from V1000?
if you are in Europe, get that one: LED Bulb for Kawasaki Versys 650 (2015 - 2020) - Mini Size

It is from France. 5 years warranty.

Or order the one from USA. these guys are really friendly and fast. H7 LED Headlight Bulb - High Performance

the shipping is not that expensive.

none is blinding the traffic if you adjust your beam low enough.

to be honest, i am not sure which one is better. the one on V1000 seems to be more on the white side of the electromagnetic spectrum.

just to add, the OEM rubber boot is just fine. make a small hole, cut the wires that enter from the side of the rubber boot and take them out. Then solder them together or just use electrical tape, and connect all the thing from outside.

·
Registered
327 Posts
if you are in Europe, get that one: LED Bulb for Kawasaki Versys 650 (2015 - 2020) - Mini Size

It is from France. 5 years warranty.

Or order the one from USA. these guys are really friendly and fast. H7 LED Headlight Bulb - High Performance

the shipping is not that expensive.

none is blinding the traffic if you adjust your beam low enough.

to be honest, i am not sure which one is better. the one on V1000 seems to be more on the white side of the electromagnetic spectrum.

just to add, the OEM rubber boot is just fine. make a small hole, cut the wires that enter from the side of the rubber boot and take them out. Then solder them together or just use electrical tape, and connect all the thing from outside.
Thanks for answer.

I will check this winter, it will be a lot of discounts so than will be best time for buying stuff, now bad weather coming and winter so I think I can endure this season with OEM lights.
So for next I will be ready with something aftermarket :)

About shipping from USA it is about 60$. Problem is that customs in my country also looking and shipping price not just price of item which I order, and than they add 25%tax on that + something other.
I found one MINI LED in my country, but I need to check more information about quality, is it connectiong port compatible with Versys 650, and where is produced, they cost about 60$.

Anyway I will found something, just I need time to do better research, and also need to be legal in country, sometimes you can't register a car / motorcycle because there are no OEM parts (lights, turn signals, exhaust...)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Also @Kris if you can look at this picture and tell me is that correct connector on LED bulb, can I connect that directly in motorbike or I need some kind of converter?
Also so I know for future what kind of connector to look.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also @Kris if you can look at this picture and tell me is that correct connector on LED bulb, can I connect that directly in motorbike or I need some kind of converter?
Also so I know for future what kind of connector to look.
View attachment 180716
Kardan, yes, sure - two pins connector (H7) will fit. the bulb looks nice. you need to test how good it is in action.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Kardan, yes, sure - two pins connector (H7) will fit. the bulb looks nice. you need to test how good it is in action.
I aks shop if they can send 2 pictures where i can se that connector so I can compar with OEM part. And that picture what they send to me. Same LED from link which i added first:

Also that is car/motorbike some parts shop, so i am sure that lights are 100% legal in my country, and should be well build. Also shop tell me that bulbs are service-produced in China and Japan, but due to professional secrecy, they are unable to provide me with the name of the factory.

Anyway I can buy that, and if is not OK I always can return LED and get money back.

This is description of that bulb (I use google translator to translate whole internet page)

LED MINI bulbs - as the name suggests, due to their extremely small size, they fit in just about every vehicle headlight.
They are most often bought in the case when normal LED bulbs do not fit in the headlight due to the specificity of the space in the headlight for certain vehicle models, and they are often bought for engines as well.

Dimensions of the MINI bulb: 3.4 cm

MINI led lighting for vehicles - set H7

Bulb type: 6000 kelvins (cool white lighting color)
Warranty 12 months.

The set contains two bulbs (for the left and right headlights of the vehicle)
Lifespan: 10,000 hours
Built-in CAN-BUS system (no error on the vehicle computer)

Our LED bulbs have a built-in CHIP LED that guarantees an excellent light beam. The bulb housing is made of durable aluminum so that the bulb is resistant to all weather conditions and is completely waterproof.
A cooling fan is installed in the bulb. The state-of-the-art ventilation system enables a revolution of 10,000 rpm and thus enables better cooling than other LED bulbs.

Installation is done by replacing existing bulbs with VINTAX LED bulbs without additional modifications.
The package contains installation instructions.

Now in description don't existe how much W are bulb but I assume that is that approx. 35 watts like other LED H7 bulbs which I was looking.

I will probably take this bulb if I don't find something better for same money.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I aks shop if they can send 2 pictures where i can se that connector so I can compar with OEM part. And that picture what they send to me. Same LED from link which i added first:

Also that is car/motorbike some parts shop, so i am sure that lights are 100% legal in my country, and should be well build. Also shop tell me that bulbs are service-produced in China and Japan, but due to professional secrecy, they are unable to provide me with the name of the factory.

Anyway I can buy that, and if is not OK I always can return LED and get money back.

This is description of that bulb (I use google translator to translate whole internet page)

LED MINI bulbs - as the name suggests, due to their extremely small size, they fit in just about every vehicle headlight.
They are most often bought in the case when normal LED bulbs do not fit in the headlight due to the specificity of the space in the headlight for certain vehicle models, and they are often bought for engines as well.

Dimensions of the MINI bulb: 3.4 cm

MINI led lighting for vehicles - set H7

Bulb type: 6000 kelvins (cool white lighting color)
Warranty 12 months.

The set contains two bulbs (for the left and right headlights of the vehicle)
Lifespan: 10,000 hours
Built-in CAN-BUS system (no error on the vehicle computer)

Our LED bulbs have a built-in CHIP LED that guarantees an excellent light beam. The bulb housing is made of durable aluminum so that the bulb is resistant to all weather conditions and is completely waterproof.
A cooling fan is installed in the bulb. The state-of-the-art ventilation system enables a revolution of 10,000 rpm and thus enables better cooling than other LED bulbs.

Installation is done by replacing existing bulbs with VINTAX LED bulbs without additional modifications.
The package contains installation instructions.

Now in description don't existe how much W are bulb but I assume that is that approx. 35 watts like other LED H7 bulbs which I was looking.

I will probably take this bulb if I don't find something better for same money.
you don't need pictures. it will fit. I like their unique system of 2 o-rings instead of notches, so it it is easy just to squeeze the bulb in, even after the rubber but is already fitted. there are two arrows their to align the base with the bulb, so it sits vertically.
base.jpg
bulb.jpg
bulb and base.jpg
connector.jpg

·
Registered
635 Posts
just I need time to do better research, and also need to be legal in country, sometimes you can't register a car / motorcycle because there are no OEM parts (lights, turn signals, exhaust...)
Kardan, yes you have to learn to read the technical specs. Per emittor as they come in pairs. Kelvin is the color rating. Get 6000 to 6500.The higher the rating, the whiter. The lower, the bluer. Lumens is the brightness. The 1st ones I had were 4500,not that bright. Second ones, these Safego were 6,000.Much better, Im not sure you can go much higher in our reflector. They are all made in China regardless who sells them. Cree tech. is good.Then adjust the aim on the reflectors. Watts is the power draw. This lets you know their claims are legit. I seem to remember you going through this a while ago. Look for this type of specs...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Kardan, yes you have to learn to read the technical specs. Per emittor as they come in pairs. Kelvin is the color rating. Get 6000 to 6500.The higher the rating, the whiter. The lower, the bluer. Lumens is the brightness. The 1st ones I had were 4500,not that bright. Second ones, these Safego were 6,000.Much better, Im not sure you can go much higher in our reflector. They are all made in China regardless who sells them. Cree tech. is good.Then adjust the aim on the reflectors. Watts is the power draw. This lets you know their claims are legit. I seem to remember you going through this a while ago. Look for this type of specs... View attachment 180728
They don't provide techincal details on they internet site like on picture which you post here.
But this is auto/moto part shop so they 100% sell legal stuff for my country. (I hope)
Next week i will pass with car close to this shop, so maybe I will be able to have time and stop in shop to check details on box (like on pictures which you provide)
But I have time to buy LED they are not urgent for me at this moment, and if they are not good I have 30 days to return them to shop and I will get my money back.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think it will be difference if I can turn OFF lights on motorbike, so in day light only this little lights will be visible.
I am not able to do that on my V650 i can't turn off lights.
In Croatia on scooters and motorbikes you need to have lights ON all time (for cars are different).
But why not to replace OEM parking lights with LED lights in same time when I will replace OEM headlight with LED.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think it will be difference if I can turn OFF lights on motorbike, so in day light only this little lights will be visible.
In Croatia on scooters and motorbikes you need to have lights ON all time (for cars are different).
But why not to replace OEM parking lights with LED lights in same time when I will replace OEM headlight with LED.
it does make a difference. and don't forget when you ride on the low beam, the parking light on the other side will be more visible.

ps, they also sell turn signals LED bulbs. But I found that the one I got from Amazon are much stronger: Amazon.com: Qoope - Pack of 4-1056 BAU15S Super Bright, 7507 led Bulb, 7507 led Bulb Amber, 12-24V DC 2835 33SMD LED Bulbs for Turn Signal Blinker Lights, Side Marker Light, 12496 5009 PY21W (Yellow): Automotive

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kardan, yes you have to learn to read the technical specs. Per emittor as they come in pairs. Kelvin is the color rating. Get 6000 to 6500.The higher the rating, the whiter. The lower, the bluer. Lumens is the brightness. The 1st ones I had were 4500,not that bright. Second ones, these Safego were 6,000.Much better, Im not sure you can go much higher in our reflector. They are all made in China regardless who sells them. Cree tech. is good.Then adjust the aim on the reflectors. Watts is the power draw. This lets you know their claims are legit. I seem to remember you going through this a while ago. Look for this type of specs... View attachment 180728
jaaklucas, the led lights look nice. i ordered one for my other bike (H4). most manufactures don't go above 5000LM

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it does make a difference. and don't forget when you ride on the low beam, the parking light on the other side will be more visible.

ps, they also sell turn signals LED bulbs. But I found that the one I got from Amazon are much stronger: Amazon.com: Qoope - Pack of 4-1056 BAU15S Super Bright, 7507 led Bulb, 7507 led Bulb Amber, 12-24V DC 2835 33SMD LED Bulbs for Turn Signal Blinker Lights, Side Marker Light, 12496 5009 PY21W (Yellow): Automotive
[/QUOTE
Just to give you heads up, you do need to bend the spring a little to fit these bulbs. What I did, was to reverse the part into which the spring clips to the opposite direction, by unscrewing it. Then, you still need to bend the spring, but the job becomes much easier.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kardan, just to give you heads up, you do need to bend the spring a little to fit these bulbs. What I did, was to reverse the part into which the spring clips to the opposite direction, by unscrewing it. Then, you still need to bend the spring, but the job becomes much easier.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts