Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets all, long time rider, who for years commuted from Stockton, CA to San Francisco, CA every day on a 2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650 for a total of 184 miles a day. Decided, at one point in early 2014 to get back into a car for a while and traded in the motos (2009 DL650 Wee-strom and a 2007 YZF-R1); but commuting by car is a little tedious, and admittedly it can get expensive driving a 2014 Mustang GT 184 miles a day. So after a life changing event with my wife (medical emergency), I decided to get her a new car that was easier for her to drive, traded my Mustang; and the deal was to get a motorcycle for me to commute on again.

Enter the new-to-me (used) 2015 Versys 650 LT (Candy Lime Green), that I have been commuting on for the last week. So far my only minor complaint is the forward pitch of the seat, being a pretty big guy and over a long commute it can get a little uncomfortable; but in every other way I am very impressed with my new-to-me moto. This led to my compulsion to find the Versys community online so that I can start reading and researching all of the cool things I can do, and add to, the already great machine I will spending a large portion of my life on in the next few years.

After a 10 hour day, even leaving for home at midnight, I have been looking forward to each trip home with a new fervor.

Thank you Kawasaki!

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts
:welcome: Trust all is well with your family emergency situation and on the seat forward pain:wink2:...there are a lot of DIY here. hope you find some cure for your seat problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:welcome: Trust all is well with your family emergency situation and on the seat forward pain:wink2:...there are a lot of DIY here. hope you find some cure for your seat problem.
Thank you sir, the wife had a stroke, but we won the lottery with the outcome and she has absolutely no lingering effects from it. All of our cars were manual six speed cars and while they are extremely fun, and the only thing I would drive, my wife had been longing for an automatic for a while and fell in love with the car my younger brother just purchased. It was a tap on the shoulder to remind us both of the most important things in life; and for me I feel like I won the lottery as no amount of money could ever replace my wife of 29 years. So I traded her car, that we were upside down in and my car which I owned to get her a 2018 SUV with bells and whistles and had enough left over to buy my new-to-me Versys.

Rawkstar makes a cheap good seat riser. or you can DIY with washers and a small plate. Either one helps alot with the forward pitch. This link will give you info.
Thanks Skypilot, I actually sent Rawkstar a PM regarding the riser and am hoping to get one; otherwise I will follow the instructions of others and make something myself. I have sent off an email to Terry Adcox for a possible custom seat. Looking forward to a long relationship with my Versys!

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts
thank you sir, the wife had a stroke, but we won the lottery with the outcome and she has absolutely no lingering effects from it. All of our cars were manual six speed cars and while they are extremely fun, and the only thing i would drive, my wife had been longing for an automatic for a while and fell in love with the car my younger brother just purchased. It was a tap on the shoulder to remind us both of the most important things in life; and for me i feel like i won the lottery as no amount of money could ever replace my wife of 29 years. So i traded her car, that we were upside down in and my car which i owned to get her a 2018 suv with bells and whistles and had enough left over to buy my new-to-me versys.

may god be by the side of both of you always and bless you both with good health and prosperity.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Welcome aboard!

The factory seat is not all that great. I put on a Sargent seat and couldn't be happier. Other aftermarket seat makers get good reviews, too, though my only experience is with this Sargent.

Handlebar risers helped me a lot. The forward lean was tiring. Now with the bars a little higher and closer the riding position is more upright and a lot more comfortable.

If you have helmet buffet at highway speeds then a new windshield will help. The Madstad works great for me. Note if you get an aftermarket seat it may put your head a slight bit higher, and you may want to get the next size up windshield. Madstad has a chart on their website recommending which size to get for your specific bike and how tall you are. It could be worth a phone call to discuss which height windshield is best for you if you start modding the seat and/or handlebars.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks Skypilot, I actually sent Rawkstar a PM regarding the riser and am hoping to get one; otherwise I will follow the instructions of others and make something myself. I have sent off an email to Terry Adcox for a possible custom seat. Looking forward to a long relationship with my Versys![/QUOTE]

Terry Adcox is the man. You won't be disappointed in his work.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Glad the medical issue resolved well. One at a time I have done all the things above, plus lowered by foot pegs. I used a 1.5 or 2 inch handlebar riser (the one that did not require moving any cables) and turned the bars toward me a little. Added the seat front riser from Rawkstar, but Fast Eddie also has very exacting details on a DIY unit. I bought a seat from one of the minions here on the forum and really like how that has changed things. I am 6'1" with bad knees, so the foot peg lowering also helped. Right now, there is nothing else I feel I need to do to the bike to make it comfortable. Good Luck

Reactions: Nonsequitur

·
Premium Member
16,191 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,434 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

I've ridden V650s OVER 155K miles, w/ the front raised about 9/16" (two longer bolts, 12 = 1/4" washers, a piece of scrap steel...), w/ MANY 11 to 12 hour days. Works for ME!

Costs you about $2 or $3.

·
Registered
83 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

I've ridden V650s OVER 155K miles, w/ the front raised about 9/16" (two longer bolts, 12 = 1/4" washers, a piece of scrap steel...), w/ MANY 11 to 12 hour days. Works for ME!

Costs you about $2 or $3.
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try in the Spring. I've only ridden the Versys about 80 feet since I bought it a week ago. (Winter here) I've done a couple Iron Butt rides on an older Concours and a younger me! I do like to do the odd 800 - 1000km day and this little tip could be a big help. :thumb:

Reactions: Nonsequitur

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome and the well wishes for my wife, she is doing well! Need to reach out to Terry again, his work is amazing, but he has a lead time currently out to mid-March, so I will be trying the riser DIY in the interim, thanks Fasteddiecopeman!

·
Super Moderator
19,434 Posts
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try in the Spring. I've only ridden the Versys about 80 feet since I bought it a week ago. (Winter here) I've done a couple Iron Butt rides on an older Concours and a younger me! I do like to do the odd 800 - 1000km day and this little tip could be a big help. :thumb:
When I joined this Forum back in June, '08, the BIG topic was making the seat BETTER [comfortable], and pretty much everyone did the mod to the seat that I have "passed-on REGULARLY", because it WORKS..., AND it's CHEAP!

:thumb: - :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts