Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I´m a rookie on this forum and a brand new owner of a blue-08 V. My drive chain-kit needs changing and I wonder what combination of sprockets I should use to get a bit lower rpm in 6th gear without losing to much power in the middle section?

Would be thankful for any comments on this issue:feedback:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I left the rear as stock and went up 1 to 16 on the front. Advantage is this. Larger diameter front sprocket is easier for the chain to go around hence longer life. One tooth makes a surprising difference in outside diameter. You will not really notice any difference in acceleration only that you don't have to shift in the middle of an intersection when taking off from a red light. Settles the engine down on the highway. Speedo becomes dead nuts accurate. (odometer becomes 10% off however. So take this into consideration when figuring MPG).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank´s everybody for the input. I´m gonna think it over during the winter season and decide later on.:thanx:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi, I´m a rookie on this forum and a brand new owner of a blue-08 V. My drive chain-kit needs changing and I wonder what combination of sprockets I should use to get a bit lower rpm in 6th gear without losing to much power in the middle section?

Would be thankful for any comments on this issue:feedback:
Myself and another Swede here prefer the hooligan approach and went with 14/46... :guilty:

Invader hit it though, I had that combo for about two months and decided it was not fun... :)

you only live once!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah, I just don't get it. With stock gearing I run between 6 & 6500 rpm, 75-80mph by gps on the freeway, which is 85-90 indicated. The thing will still do over a hundred. I don't want to lose any acceleration in the twisties.

I suppose if a guy wanted to cruise 90+ a lot it might make some sense. Maybe the long range tourers are wanting a lower rpm cruise.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I still run stock final ratio. I get some noticeable vibes at 4k rpm that start to clear as I get past aprx 55mph or so. So if I go up in front or down in rear it will just extend those vibes to a higher speed. Anyone else share my opinion?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mountain Man

You described my Versys exactly, I get the vibes around 4K so I will use 5th gear to keep it spinning until I'm up just below 60.

This motor likes to spin for sure. I've been running down the road having just a great old time up between 70 and 80 (by the speedo) and found I was in 4th gear. Two quick shifts and off we go.

Whoopee, it's fun.

Frog

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, I just don't get it. With stock gearing I run between 6 & 6500 rpm, 75-80mph by gps on the freeway, which is 85-90 indicated.
I think there are a lot of folks that just want to cruise around under 5k rpm. I get the mentaility, but this motor is soft and viby under 5k. It's not a cruiser engine. On top of that, I'm also pretty certain all that will end up happening for most folks changing gear ratios is that they will still run at the same indicated and therefore the same rpm. The only thing that will change is they will be going faster without realizing it.

I get some noticeable vibes at 4k rpm that start to clear as I get past aprx 55mph or so.
I get the vibes around 4K so I will use 5th gear to keep it spinning until I'm up just below 60.
Every motor (in fact everything that rotates) has a resonant frequency which is the rpm at which it vibrates the most. This engine's resonant frequency is approximately 4500 rpm. The vibes virtually disappear above 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
:huh: Theoretically, if the speedo is dead nuts, the odo would also be dead nuts - or am I missing something? :confused:
In stock form, the speedo is 10% optimistic but the odometer is accurate. With a 16 tooth sprocket you "slow down" the speedo, the odo reads 10% less as well.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
In stock form, the speedo is 10% optimistic but the odometer is accurate. With a 16 tooth sprocket you "slow down" the speedo, the odo reads 10% less as well.
Funny. Mine is not quite 10%. With GPS, at an indicated 74mph on the bike, the GPS showed 70. And the four mph difference was fairly consistent from around mid 40's up to around 80. I didn't go any faster, if I remember. It's been awhile since I rode with a GPS.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I use 15/43. Speedo is dead nuts, and I can still lift the front wheel on a hard 1-2 shift.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts