Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Versys 650
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I rode to work in 30°F weather. It was very nice. I left the liners out of my jacket to feel the air.

What a crispy refreshing way to start the day. Like a Scottish shower.
The cover kept the morning dew/ice off the bike, it was ready to ride.
The insta360 x3 my friend sent me arrives today! Can't wait to see how that thing looks. :)
Anyway, here she is today:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
versys 650 2008 orange
271 Posts
What I experience when riding in +10C and below is that tires behave weirdly like oiled. Lowered tire pressure on front from 2,5 to 2,0 helped but not complete solved this feeling.

What is your experience?

·
Registered
2013 Versys 650
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What is your experience?
At 30°F it didn't feel too rough, I did a few figure eights at slow speed in parking lot before I left to try and just at least have the tires make contact and roll some before heading out. I kept the revs under 7k, so it wasn't aggressively trying to break loose.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Avon Trailriders
Having proper M&S tires has it benefits! That's why I like these tires for pavement. I got out today as well for a ride as our excellent fall weather continues in Vancouver. 11C, 50F here. It snowed here a week ago but all gone now. Last year this time we had epic rain that hasn't been seen here for at least a hundred years as it wiped out even some old trusty wagon trails. But no riding through mountain passes for a while . And if you get caught out after the sun goes down all bets are off, cold and the roads get pretty greasy with frost from condensation.

·
Registered
2013 Versys 650
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put Roadsmart IVs on it, read from people who had used them in climate like mine before going that route. I'm interested in how they feel as it gets colder. I've been checking PSI 2x a week. Trying to stay on top of that.

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
41 Posts
What I experience when riding in +10C and below is that tires behave weirdly like oiled. Lowered tire pressure on front from 2,5 to 2,0 helped but not complete solved this feeling.

What is your experience?
Good tips! Rode in 27°F today. 🥶

I’m not aggressive on throttle or turns, but there was one thin long parallel groove in the road that seemed to grab the tires (possibly due to the stiffer rubber.)

I certainly realized how nice grip warmers would be. I should have covered my chin better. Got quite cold there.

Foggy visor at stoplights too. Anybody have experience with the Pinlock inserts?

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 ABS
3 Posts
Nice. Props for still riding. Ive been riding to work every day it doesnt rain and have had several mornings in the 20's the last week here in West Virginia. I did have to buy a pair of true winter riding gloves but other than that my hands were the only thing that got cold. The ride is only about 20 minutes thankfully. I did also just order the factory Kawasaki hand/wind guards which should make a huge difference.
Stay safe out there 🤙✌

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
...Ive been riding to work every day it doesnt rain and have had several mornings in the 20's the last week here in West Virginia. I did have to buy a pair of true winter riding gloves but other than that my hands were the only thing that got cold....
One of my BEST mods has been the installation of KOSO Apollo heated grips on both my V650s. Even when it's NOT winter, there are days when a "touch of heated grips" makes the ride a LOT nicer (and they are ALWAYS there, as opposed to heated gloves which ONLY work when you remember to take them w/ you).

Apollo-left by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Apollo-right by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Apollos, new bars by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
471 Posts
Foggy visor at stoplights too. Anybody have experience with the Pinlock inserts?
I just replaced my helmet and have the pinlock, first time. Wish I had used them before. Totally fog free even with all vents and shield closed. There is maintenance for it, can be found on youtube, basically it's porous and has to be dried out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts