Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It got down into the low 20s here in Philly last night and was still well below freezing when I left for work this morning. I didn't wear my heated gear because I only have to commute about 2 miles to work. However, once I got to work this morning and tried taking the key out of the ignition, I realized that there must have been a bit of moisture in the ignition switch because the key was completely frozen in there. I work in a bad part of town so definitely didn't want to leave my key in the ignition and my girlfriend took our hair dryer with her on her business trip so I had to head to the shop to get the key unstuck. Needless to say, I immediately regretted not hooking up the heat to my gear since the shop I go to is about 15 miles away and I was an icicle by the time I got there. Anyway, they used a heat gun and some teflon lube to get it unstuck.

Anybody else ever run into a similar issue with their V in the cold? Any suggestions for preventing it from happening again? Any suggestions for how to get the key out once it's frozen in there besides using a hair dryer or heat gun? This hadn't ever happened before so I felt unprepared to do anything besides drive to the shop.

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is off topic, but I'm from Philadelphia! I got a buddy who also rides a V that lives here. Woohoo! However, we haven't seen any other V in town yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is off topic, but I'm from Philadelphia! I got a buddy who also rides a V that lives here. Woohoo! However, we haven't seen any other V in town yet.
No way! There was a rider on here a while ago from Philly, but I believe he moved. Oddly enough, there is another V rider who lives a couple blocks away from me and rides a red 08 with a ton of awesome farkles. Let's definitely plan to go riding together once it warms up again!

·
Registered
79 Posts
No way! There was a rider on here a while ago from Philly, but I believe he moved. Oddly enough, there is another V rider who lives a couple blocks away from me and rides a red 08 with a ton of awesome farkles. Let's definitely plan to go riding together once it warms up again!
Awesome! I don't want to be stalker-ish and ask too much information, lol.

If you have time can you post in this thread? It'll help keep track to see who is around us and I wouldn't mind a V ride of +4 or more in the spring/summer.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21732

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
That's really horrible. I hate excess heat... It's nice and frigid and snowy up here in the great white north, eh?

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
That won't work if the air is higher than normal body temperature... It actually needs to be lower than body temp to keep it from overheating (hyperthermia).

·
Registered
145 Posts
just means you need to ride faster to get more air flowing past ya :)
I tried that, but the air was so hot. I could feel it on my eyes. Almost burning. I could only ride with the visor down. Not too much fun. The only positive was that the tires definitely stick to the road !

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
26*f here on the water (normally warmer) onthe coast of NC - I drove today, when there is frost on the roads its just not worth the risk to me. (and my current gloves are really only good town to about 38 with the heated grips)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I tried that, but the air was so hot. I could feel it on my eyes. Almost burning. I could only ride with the visor down. Not too much fun. The only positive was that the tires definitely stick to the road !

That won't work if the air is higher than normal body temperature... It actually needs to be lower than body temp to keep it from overheating (hypothermia).
i know, it was sarcasm

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
actually it also works if it improves evaporation - otherwise we would all die very quickly anytime the air temp was in the 90's

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
That won't work if the air is higher than normal body temperature... It actually needs to be lower than body temp to keep it from overheating (hypothermia).
Isn't it hyperthermia when I'm complaining in August & hypothermia for my February rant? :confused:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
yes, and statistically more people get hypothermia in 50* weather than in 30* weather because at 50* they think they can handle it and are less likely to dress appropriately.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
just means you need to ride faster to get more air flowing past ya :)
Wear a wet "sweat-shirt" (and I MEAN soaking wet!) - at 105F it keeps me cool for about 1.5 hours....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts