Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here at a latitude of 45 degrees North some of us have already come out of hibernation and started to ride our motorcycles again the last few weeks of March as daytime high temperatures have started to become positive numbers and a layer of snow and ice no longer cover the roads.

Went for my longest, to date, ride of the year (75km) today despite the two to zero degree celsius temperatures. Thank your favorite deity (or the late Mr. Gerbing if you're an atheist) for heated gear ;)

Are their any other cold weather riders here? What do you wear? How do you stay warm?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yup. I’ve been out every month. I began commuting on the bike this past week. About 100km (62mi) each day, rain or shine. Heated grips and BarkBusters keep the hands working. All gear is Gore-Tex, with multiple layers of clothing under. Typically a mix of wool and fleece.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
....All gear is Gore-Tex, with multiple layers of clothing under......
Gore-Tex stuff is awesome. Just got my first Gore-Tex motorcycle jacket this winter (Klim) and am just starting to ride with it. I also own Gore-Tex boots and ski wear. It seems to be warmer in the cold, and slightly cooler in the heat, maybe because it does not allow moisture to accumulate next to the body.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Agreed. I know there are other technologies out there, but none offer the lifetime warranty Gore-Tex does. I have a brand new pair of Alpinestars Toucan boots due to Gore's warranty.

I've recently discovered a DWR treatment that is ridiculously good: "Water-Guard Extreme" by Atsko. It is expensive, but very effective. The road spray just beads up and rolls off my gear now. There is no saturation of the fabric that I used to have when using wash in DWR treatments. I now apply it to all outdoor fabrics, especially new items.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
to stay warm i wear jeans under my riding pants and a hoodie under my riding jacket with the rain liner in . balaclava under my helmet and gloves and heated grips and hand guard keep my hands from being numb

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My commute to work is only 30 minutes, about half of that is on the highway. I find my hands are fine in winter gloves without warmers. The handguards do a good job of blocking the wind on the highway. If I was riding longer distances in the cold I would probably end up with warmers of some sort.

Layers of clothing keep the rest of me warm. I don't ride in below freezing temps usually, because around here there is usually ice hiding somewhere.

·
Registered
929 Posts
To be honest, I don't ride in early Spring due to the amount of crap (sand, etc) and pockets of ice still on the road. That said, for late Fall riding, I have winter riding gloves (which I have to replace, as I also use them daily during the winter) and PowerMadd handguards that block the wind effectively. I also add a neckwarmer to keep my throat warm. I still have a set of riding gear that is non-mesh with a thermal layer that I can wear when the temps drop down significantly. Can't wear street pants underneath it, though, so it's a bit of a nuisance for commuting to work as I have to bring my pants along and change in the washroom.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
...Are their any other cold weather riders here? What do you wear? How do you stay warm?
I have a TOURMASTER Synergy heated jacket-liner in both BC and AZ, as well as KOSO APOLLO heated grips, and recommend you add some kind of hand-guards to shelter your hands.

I also have the TOURMASTER Synergy heated pants-liner, but have only ever used it once - my legs don't seem to get cold, and the 'liner' was TOO warm!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had great luck with my Aerostich Roadcrafter suit. When it gets cold I wear a pair of compression leggings under my pants (without the extra layer the backs of my thighs/butt gets cold), a sweater, heated jacket liner, heated gloves, a thermal neck gaiter and heated Gerbing gloves, goretex motorcycle boots and I'm good to go. I have about an hour commute to work with all highway. As long as it hasn't snowed or iced in the past couple days I'll ride. My base is terrible about getting the roads/parking lots cleared with as small as we are. I had to add a pinlock insert to my helmet to cut out the fogging and put the rain shield into the helmet but that's about it. I stay comfortable all the way to work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I should add that I do have the large barkbusters (Storm) handguards and a 18" Cee Bailey's windshield installed. Those both help a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts