Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a cheapskate, I'm always looking for alternative gear. I struggled some with pants for cold weather, but think I've found a reasonable solution.
Earlier this year I lucked into some Bohn Armor pants for free that are in like new condition. I wear these under a pair of fleece lined jeans.
I just got back from a ride in 28f temps with 30 mph winds and heavy snow. I stayed comfortable for the entire ride, except for my hands. I would have added a rain suit for the snow if I had to go lot further but I was warm and dry with the fleece lining.
This is admittedly not the best solution out there, but it's inexpensive and serviceable. But it's only cheap if someone gives you the armor.☺ I get a kick out of looking for solutions that are inexpensive and efficient so this experiment was fun, and having it work made it even more fun.
I do miss my heated grips. I'm considering trying hand warmers in my gloves before springing for heated grips or gloves.
Anyone else have a favorite cold weather hack?

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
I find that a waterproof rain-suit over your gear makes a BIG difference in temps.

And I have waterproof gloves (from Harbor-Freight) designed for working w/ sewage, etc. I wear them over MX armored gloves.

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Being a cheapskate, I'm always looking for alternative gear. I struggled some with pants for cold weather, but think I've found a reasonable solution.

This is admittedly not the best solution out there, but it's inexpensive and serviceable.
I get a kick out of looking for solutions that are inexpensive and efficient so this experiment was fun, and having it work made it even more fun.
I do miss my heated grips. I'm considering trying hand warmers in my gloves before springing for heated grips or gloves.
Anyone else have a favorite cold weather hack?
I am all for an economical solution, especial if it is for something non crucial but weather protection in wet or freezing conditions isn't one of them. YMMV.
I have been caught by surprise on a few occasions in freezing fog, torrential rain, hail and snow flurries while on road trips or riding in the mountains and was glad that I spent the money on quality, reliable protection.
Press a button and have heated grips, turn a knob and have heat in your jacket, IMHO money WELL spent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wear ski bids when it's really cold. There's no armor but they're warm.

I also have Oxford heated grips and they're ok until it gets really cold, then I switch to heated my gloves. The gloves keep my whole hand warm but they're bulky. The grips let my thumbs and the top of my hands get cold. I run a heated jacket liner and heated socks too with gators over my boots to keep the air out. It's about never to cold to ride. All my stuff is Gerbing brand but it's old and I don't think they make my exact stuff anymore. It all runs off the bike without batteries.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
I am all for an economical solution, especial if it is for something non crucial but weather protection in wet or freezing conditions isn't one of them. YMMV.
I have been caught by surprise on a few occasions in freezing fog, torrential rain, hail and snow flurries while on road trips or riding in the mountains and was glad that I spent the money on quality, reliable protection.
Press a button and have heated grips, turn a knob and have heat in your jacket, IMHO money WELL spent.
When I expect "...wet or freezing conditions..." on a ride, I ALWAYS put my rain-gear pants on early so I do NOT need to try to do it at the side of the road in a down-pour. The rain-jacket is EASY (easier...?) to put ON in a hurry.

My heated grips are ALWAYS available, and my heated jacket-liner will be ON when necessary.

:cool:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Im with Ed on the rain pants. I always have my rain gear in my on the road kit. This also works as a great top layer in extreme cold as it stops the cold wind from getting through to my porous warm under-layers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just add waterproof/windproof pants layer + thermal layer (which only reach my knees), and windproof/waterproof/thermal liner in jacket, wit all layers I feel like bumblebee on motorbike

But I had ride which was in May 250km in hard rain, and strong wind and in 3-6°C (37-43℉ ) in only jacket + jeans without any termal or other parts (I was prepared for warm weather without rain, but I take rain suit with myself just in case ), so I had than only rain suit over jaket and pants, and it was warm to me.
Only hands was problem because i have only summer gloves (perforated). It was dam* cold. But now I have KOSO heated grips, and I am to happy with them.

So, the rain suit will do pretty good job

When I expect "...wet or freezing conditions..." on a ride, I ALWAYS put my rain-gear pants on early so I do NOT need to try to do it at the side of the road in a down-pour.
I learned that on hard way. In really hard rain. It is rally hard to put rain pants over my foot which are US 14 size.
Now I put rain pants first, and I put rain jacket on top of all things so I can grab that first if rain start.

Reactions: betoney

·
Registered
647 Posts
thermal layer (which only reach my knees),
(y)
This is really the part of the legs that takes the worst wind, up to the knees. 50 years ago my aunt went to Austria and brought me, then a teenager, back some classic hiking socks. I never wore them as they came up over my knees and I thought they looked silly. Fast forward to my motorcycle days, these socks rock! They come up to the point where they meet my riding shorts. I still have them, just keep sewing up the wear holes. That is my secret sauce as well for keeping my legs warm on the bike...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the Firstgear Kathmandu suit. With the liner in and the set of U.S.Army long johns underneath I am toasty. I also have the heated gloves and insoles. In my youth I always thought it was to much money to spend, don't be like me. At least get yourself the electric gloves now, you will never regret the coins you spend on the heated gloves.
Heated grips are nice but the gloves keep your whole hand warm even when you move your hands off the grips.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
I learned that on hard way. In really hard rain. It is rally hard to put rain pants over my foot which are US 14 size.
Now I put rain pants first, and I put rain jacket on top of all things so I can grab that first if rain start.
I have to say that I 'learned' to put the rain-pants on early the HARD way - sitting in the rain at the side of a highway....

ADDITIONALLY - on ALL my multi-day rides I wear a knapsack which contains my water in a Platypus, AND MY RAIN-GEAR so I don't need to SEARCH for it! :cool:

Heated grips are nice but the gloves keep your whole hand warm even when you move your hands off the grips.
The BIGGEST advantage of 'heated grips' is that they are THERE all the time, including times you would NOT expect to need your hands heated...!

(y)(y)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Heated grips/heated gloves whatever you like, get them and use them. I liked the gloves and they stored in the hard bags just fine. Plus with the battery in my pocket I could use them elsewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Earlier this year I lucked into some Bohn Armor pants for free that are in like new condition. I wear these under a pair of fleece lined jeans.
Hmmm - Nothing much to add but 'Thanks!'. A while ago I half-heartedly looked at armored shirts to wear under a favorite non-motorcycle jacket. Those armor pants are an interesting idea and it looks like they have shirts too, though they're not cheap new. I don't go really cold (below mid-40s F), but have found that gauntlet gloves under, not over, the sleeves of a leather jacket are an absolute must. Next is some sort of throat protection. After that I'm dealing with whole-body cold. I have hand-guards, but no heated grips or seat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Heartily recommend this waterproof balaclava for winter time, also makes getting the helmet on so easy.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm - Nothing much to add but 'Thanks!'. A while ago I half-heartedly looked at armored shirts to wear under a favorite non-motorcycle jacket. Those armor pants are an interesting idea and it looks like they have shirts too, though they're not cheap new. I don't go really cold (below mid-40s F), but have found that gauntlet gloves under, not over, the sleeves of a leather jacket are an absolute must. Next is some sort of throat protection. After that I'm dealing with whole-body cold. I have hand-guards, but no heated grips or seat.
I like the Bohn Armor because the pads stay where they are supposed to. My mesh pants have some knee armor, but it migrates around like a goose on crack. I would never have bought the Bohn Armor new. Just too expensive for me.
I do miss heated grips, but really, they never were a total solution for me. Now if I could only find someone giving away heated gloves☺
An inexpensive neck gator from Amazon works for me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
A thin balaclava for the cold does wonders; a good scarf or the like to keep air from going up into the helmet is a good idea as well.
I tend to use thermal layers under my riding clothes; I have a thick fleece base layer that is so warm I can't put it on inside the house; I use it for cold rides and also for hunting. If I'm riding to a meeting I have to remove it or I'll roast.

As others have said, a thin rain layer on top of everything makes s huge difference as it cuts the wind and allows your other layers to work effectively.

I don't have any heated gear but I've been considering a set of heated gloves or grips.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My Klim outrider pants with an underlayer kept me plenty warm in the low 40s. Will try them this Winter when the morning temps get down to to mid-20s for my commute to work and will report back.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Klim outrider pants
Yea ,Ive looked at these. They suit my style. My all round riding pants are my Spidi armoured jeans which are super thick denim. I think the Outrider pants are like that, work-thick denim? I was intrigued by the canvas in the Outrider. Do you wax it?

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
...but have found that gauntlet gloves under, not over, the sleeves of a leather jacket are an absolute must....
By putting the gauntlets UNDER your jacket sleeves you are DEFEATING their purpose, which is to KEEP cold air from funneling PAST your gloves! Now you're allowing it into your sleeves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts