Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed an issue with my 08 Versys lately. The old girl does not want to start right away from an unheated garage kept two or three day break. Turn the key on wait for "the buzz" to stop, hit the starter...a quick fire and then stall. apply a little twist of throttle and hit starter and boom! she fires right up. This concerns me as I've never had a cold starting issue with her ever.
comments? suggestions? thanks
Rik

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hmm, did you retro-fit carbs? :D

My first thought is weak battery, but that doesn't really explain how adding in some throttle helps. That leads me to suspect that maybe your TPS (throttle position sensor) is not quite set correctly, and you are just now noticing it due to the cold weather.

Of course, the other usual suspects are not necessarily ruled out -- (bad) gas, throttle cables not adjusted correctly (maybe due to colder weather), plug(s), spark plug wire(s)/coil pack(s), grounding issue(s), stator/voltage regulator, map sensor, fuel delivery/fuel pump issue, injectors (not likely), and so on.

My $2/100, anyway.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What happens if you just hit the button again without touching the throttle? Does it keep stalling or fire and run on the second or third attempt?

David

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What happens if you just hit the button again without touching the throttle? Does it keep stalling or fire and run on the second or third attempt?

David
It keeps stalling on the second and third and fourth....I did not remove the injectors and add carbs LOL! but after owning umpteen carbed bikes over the years my natural instinct is to blip the throttle while cranking the starter....and then she fires right up. I just went out and purchased some stabil today as I may have accidently purchased some bad fuel. I'm wondering if moving from Florida back to Oregon has affected it in some way. Both humid enviroments to be sure but way colder here. I rode her year round on the Oregon coast in 2009 and had no garage...she lived right on the beach outside with zero issues. She resides in an unheated garage now but is not ridden everyday. This is the absolute first real issue I've had with this bike since purchasing new in June of 2008 so I can't really complain THAT loud

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does go to fast idle once started and warms up and settles in to normal idle. The spark plugs are original to the bike

·
Registered
603 Posts
As Invader suggests, I should have asked "how many miles" on the spark plugs. Without further info, I'd be biased toward checking and re-gapping them. In fact, for the effort required to get at them, I'd replace the plugs and clean the intake-air filter as a next step.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Mine for the last couple of months has been doing the same thing no matter the weather. I changed the spark plugs and it still does it so before i hit the start button i just twist the throttle once then hit the start button and it fires right up

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Added some stabil...seems to start better....once warmed up, no starting issues. just wondering if the cold damp enviroment is an issue here on the oregon coast. bike is garaged but hard to keep it from getting damp, short of keeping it in the living room (not a bad idea)....:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 08 has recently been having same issue; just hit starter she catches and dies, 2,3,4 times. Twist throttle couple times after first miss, let it sit for a 5 count and it starts right up. Can't be a cold moisture thing as I'm in Las Vegas, coldest its been so far is 27 degrees. But she does sit out in back on patio under cover, same as last 3 yrs.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Because of the dampness you mentioned, I suggest you open each wiring connector you can, and fill it with dielectric grease, whenever you're in there.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have an 08 and started it today in 30F with no issues. Check the condition of your spark plugs, ignition wires, etc.. Also with EFI there is no reason to blip the throttle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts