Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year!

I was riding to work today and realized my clutch was not engaging and figured I might have knocked my lever out of adjustment. After playing with it on the fly to no avail I could see the cable could be pulled by the lever but that the cable seemed disconnected/unsprung and would not return the lever to the engaged position. I had to push the lever forward to engage the clutch and even then it would slip as revs climbed. I looked down and could see the cable was still connected but it just would not snap back as it should.

I changed my oil the weekend before last (10w-40 valvoline motorcycle oil) and have ridden regularly since then with no problems. I had last ridden on Friday about 125 miles with no problem and there was no moisture so I don't think there is any ice in the cable (bike is kept in unheated garage). It was 21 degrees when I set out this morning and it was still not acting normal after my 20 minute ride to work. I last lubed the cable in September...could that be an issue? Thank you assistance as always!

·
Registered
99 Posts
your cable is binding in the housing ... it could be for various factors ...

frayed cable ... replace cable
moisture in cable housing ... lube with wd40 to displace moisture and lube cable
lubed cable with to heavy lube ... re lube with wd40 or equivalent
dry cable ... no lube ... lube with wd40 or equivalent

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I was riding in about 15-20 degree weather. I was in stop and go traffic and noticed that my bike didn't want to wait. Luckly after I started going again the clutch starting acting normal. I haven't experienced it since. Maybe it doesn't like the cold???

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the past I used wd 40 for linkage but after the freeze in kansas , gun oil.for cables engine oil at oil changes.
oh wd 40 is made of solvent and mineral oil,as in baby oil and wd40 is short for Water Dispersant - 40 th experiment. made for corrosion coating rockets in the 50's.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Experienced the same scenario. As it turned out, I needed to replace my clutch cables since I think they were already worn out. I just ordered online and got it delivered.
So is a first post with a link to jc whitney some of that sneaky spam we have seen of late? I squawked it as spam and let the admin decide.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Yeah that is a spammer again, posing as a forum member... He will be prosecuted real soon. There's only one clutch cable.

It could be a cable problem. I did reroute mine properly, although A2RON did have a problem with the disengagement mechanism at over 13000 miles on his '08:
"... we looked at the clutch release lever/shaft assembly (IPC-13102, Grid B-12) under a magnifier and saw sharp edged burrs on the shaft’s notched area where it contacts the clutch’s internal push rod (IPC-13116, Grid B-12) stem that moves the clutch plates back and forth to disengage/engage the clutch."

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6570

1 - 8 of 8 Posts