Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Problem Fixed.......Replaced the friction discs and once again I have clutch cable slack available and clutch now seems to be running properly...

Rode my 2015 Versys 650 today, after about 15 minutes the clutch lever was stiff and clutch seemed to be slipping.

Stopped and screwed in barrel adjuster fully, still no play and now barely any drive. After cycling clutch lever about 10 times I got drive again.

Rode it home and clutch was slipping at higher revs, bike has only done just over 4000k :(

Clutch cable checked and is moving freely in its housing.

Guess it's time to pull the clutch apart

:frown2:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
does your cable have free play in it?... also befor this started happening was the clutch moment smooth or ruff

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
From Ma Kawi the clutches are set so that the "friction-point" happens when the lever is FAR AWAY from the handle-bars, meaning that only a LITTLE wear and your clutch will not FULLY ENGAGE.

FIRST thing when I got ALL THREE of my V's - I adjusted the levers so that the "friction-point" happens near the mid-point of the lever's travel. (And I've done it to the levers on quite a few other Kawasakis for friends....) Here's a pic of what MY adjusters look like

I suggest you give it a try.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Clutch lever adjuster screwed fully in and still no free play, clutch was smooth before this started.
there is another slack adjuster in the midle of the cable on the right
if not it could be a failed spring in your clutch basket if your luck, worse case it could scoring on you basket

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you just change the oil?

Using oil not designed for a wet clutch can / will cause slippage. Make sure MA or MA2 rated.

Friend had done some work on a customers bike. On test ride clutch had slippage, changed oil to Kawasaki MA rated 10/40 and slippage went away on next test ride. Cables were checked for proper operation first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well pulled the clutch out, oil was rather black and so were the plates. Pictures don't really show how black they really are...

Guess it's been slipping awhile and I just haven't noticed :(

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that could be a problem, both adjusters are screwed fully in and there isnt any freeplay left now, whereas there used to be.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Well that could be a problem, both adjusters are screwed fully in and there isnt any freeplay left now, whereas there used to be.
Try adjusting it out to 1/4" free-play at the lever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts