Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Magura Hydraulic Clutch on my girl friends Versys .... WHAT A DIFFERENCE ... no more vauge feel ... no more engagement lag ... no more lubing the cable to stop the stiff ... draggie clutch pull ... The slave cylinder installed in the stock mounting bracket that the cable did ... no modification nessary ... the master cylinder lever just clears the left switch housing also ... with the red adjuster knob removed ( the actual adjuster stays ) ... I altered the stock cable routing slightly to avoid kinking the hydraulic line ... I would highly recommend this mod for this bike ... I bought it used off of ebay ... almost any will work ... as long as it will fit a japanese dirt bike ...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From my experience ... most of the problems are user induced ... the first and formost thing is to make sure that there is absolutly ... NO AIR ... in the system ... once that is achieved ... it works flawlessly ... every one uses mineral oil ... I use ATF ... I might add with no issues ... Photos are on the way ... there are other things on the bike that might interest you folks also ... I'll let the photos do the talking ... once I get them uploaded ...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a few photos ...

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/ddkessler/Versys Album/

You will also notice that I moved the front fender up to accomodate a 130x80-17 rear tire which happens to be a Anakee ... the reason is my girl friend just got her licence ( IE inexperienced ) ... and being that I also own a Vstrom 1000 and a couple drz475's and a KLX650 with a vulcan piston in it ... you can guess that I spend alot of time on dirt and gravel roads ... which she was game for ... that rear tire ... mounted on the front slows the bikes geometry down and also gives more gyroscopic effect ... which is all good things for her ... I also had Galfer make me custom ... dual front brake lines so I didn't have over the fender brake line issues when I raised the front fender ... as it turned out ... I ended up with a Galfer rear brake line as well ... I might add ... also a nice improvement ... On the handlebar ... you will notice that I also installed handlebar warmers ... as western New York has a short riding season ... so anything to extend that is a bonus ... The sheild is a Givi with the wings cut off to make enough clearence for the Moose bark busters that I installed ... I have also removed the intake snorkles and the throttle secondaries ... and did the Vacuume T mod ... that is about it for now ... mods to come are KG clutch with HD springs ... and 08versys muffler mod ... I'm also toying with the Idea of boring the throttle bodies and picking up a power commander ... as I can tell there is at least 10 more HP to be gotten with the bikes present state of tune ... When that's all done ... I'll probably like it so well that I'll sell the Vstrom ... and pick up another versys ... and start the mods all over again ... :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The master cylinder that I used is the 10.5 mm bore ... the slave cylinders are all the same bore size ... I also tried the 9.5mm bore master cylinder ... it had a slighty easier pull and a longer transition from disengaged to engaged ... it also worked well ... I prefered the 10.5 master cylinder ... and reinstalled it ...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I really would like to get one of these because the stock cable clutch is grabby and is more of an on off switch, hard to slip offroad.

If I understand your post right the 9.5 would be better for slow technical riding off road with more travel in the area that it is slipping the clutch? Or do I have that backwards?

I would like to get my bike ready for the BMW GS challenge that they are having in western Alberta next fall, there will be lots of slow technical riding hope to show up some BMW riders with a Kawi. street bike.:devil:

What bike was the original kit for?

Thanks again.
Darryl.

Darryl ... based on your situation ... I would recommend the 9.5mm master cylinder ... your understanding is correct ... also ... the clutch pull will be easier ... I bought two magura clutches off ebay a couple 3 years ago ... I don't remember what they came off of ... what worked out in my favor, is that one had the 10.5mm master cylinder, and the other had the 9.5mm master cylinder ... that is how I was able to compare ... in reality though the difference in the Versys application is subtle ... If your buying used ... I would base my decision on price as opposed to which size master cylinder ... One last note ... the stock line is plastic ... I was skeptical at first ... however when it came time to custom size the length ... I was glad I had the plastic ... I just cut it to length, and lightly clamped the hose in the vice ... and taped the banjo fitting in the end of the line ... DONE ...!!!
Which ever one you end up with ... you will like it much better than the stock cable system ... It has a Sooooooooo much better feel to it ... that is not even comparable to the cable system on this particular bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got my new hyd. clutch the other day, it's great. Haven't been able to take it on a test ride yet because winter has hit Alberta Canada -30 deg. cel. and snow, so I had to take it for very short rides the length of my shop 60ft at a time. It's like night and day difference with the cable.

It used to be a two finger with effort clutch pull now its a one finger with no problem. I came with the mirror mount and the clutch safety switch. It's a easy install, didn't have to take the slave cylinder off to route it down to the motor just had to fiddle with it a little to get the proper routing.

I cut the lever down to two finger length because it's pretty long and it hits my hand guard, I only ever use one finger on the clutch anyways and it's always on it ready just in case when I am riding, that and the front break also.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can't tell you IF they are different, but - a question: Why change to a hydraulic clutch?

(I've never had a clutch problem on ANY of my 3 V 650s - 65K miles on the '08; 65K kms on the '09; and 9600 kms on the '15....)

That is, w/ the POSSIBLE exception, of replacing the clutch cable on the '08 at about 56K miles....
I had two DL1000 Suzuki Vstroms before this bike. They both had hydraulic clutches and I really liked the feel. They were also very light action. I also rode a KTM 950 which has a Magura hydraulic clutch and I really liked how it worked.

I went through the parts fische for my '15 Versys as well as an '09 and could not find any dramatic differences in the parts. I have ordered a Magura clutch kit for the '07-'10 Versys. I will post to the forum how the install on my '15 goes.

When the motorcycle manufacturers went to cables with a plastic inner sheath - it made a dramatic impact on the reliability of cables. They are now pretty bulletproof.

I know that this hydraulic clutch is not really necessary, but I like tinkering. :smile2:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I installed a Magura hydraulic clutch on my '08 V 4 years ago and have been very satisfied with it.

Clutch modulation is improved and cable adjustment and lubrication is eliminated.

Installation on the '08 was very straightforward but not sure what you will be dealing with on a '15 since I have never worked on a '15.

Let the forum know if the kit works on '15.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have installed a Magura Hymec hydraulic clutch on my '15 Versys 650 and it works beautifully.

I worked with Peter Ubellacker of Magura USA on putting together the correct parts for the '15 Versys. The kit is exactly the same as the kit they make for the older models, but I found that using a different slave cylinder made everything fit perfectly. I only had to add two shims (included in the kit) to the installation. The clutch switch that comes with the kit has to be wired into the two wires that go to the stock clutch switch. This allows you to start the bike with it in gear with the side stand up. The bike will start in neutral without this mod.

The installation is actually pretty easy. You just remove your clutch cable (Use the clutch cable to pull the Magura hydraulic hose through). I disconnected the hydraulic hose from the master cylinder to do the install. This made the routing easy, but necessitated bleeding air out after reattaching the hose to the master cylinder. It was actually very easy to bleed. I think if I had been more careful to plug the hose, I would not have had to bleed it. The slave cylinder just attaches where the clutch cable was. I have attached pictures.

Magura has created a new part number for this kit: 2100008-10. Right now, you can only get it from Magura USA. Contact Peter Ubellacker at 1-618-395-2200.

It has made a dramatic difference in the feel of the clutch. The pull is much lighter and it is smoother. I have used it for over 2 months and have not had to do any adjustments. I think that this is the single best improvement I have done to my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have added some more pictures and details on the hydraulic clutch install.

The first picture shows a top view of the slave cylinder. This picture is looking through the frame tubes. As you can see, the slave fits perfectly in the space the original clutch cable and adjusters fit. No modifications were necessary.

The second picture shows a wider view of the clutch master cylinder and lever. As you can see, the stock mirror mounts perfectly into the new clutch assembly and the clutch hydraulic hose exits the cylinder and clears the handguards with no issue. I have installed a mirror extender from ebay (highly recommended). The hose is approximately the same diameter as the original clutch cable and it is exactly the same length. I routed the hydraulic hose exactly the same as the original cable - in fact I used the clutch cable to pull the hydraulic hose through. That way, I did not have to disassemble anything.

The third picture shows how the clutch hydraulic hose uses the same routing as the original cable and looks stock from a distance.

The new clutch lever is adjustable very easily with a star adjuster at the base of the lever. I chose a silver lever to match the brake lever, but it is also available in black. I cut off the original clutch switch and spliced the two wires (the polarity does not matter) into the wires from the switch that came with the Magura clutch assembly. The switch is very high quality and works perfectly.

I was expecting the installation to be much harder than it turned out to be. If you are capable of changing your own clutch cable, this installation is not much more difficult.

Active Thread Discussion Here :http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...aulic-clutch-puzzler.html?highlight=hydraulic

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts