Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my clutch cable just broke, how can i fix it. it broke off right at the point that is inserts into the "nipple" that connects it to the clutch handle. ill go try to take a pic or two and show yall a little better. Please help this is my daily driver!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Is this a for real question?
Unless you have a solder pot and new cable ends you can't fix it yourself.
Some shops (mostly independent ones) have these necessary parts and tools.
If it is under warranty take it to the dealer otherwise buy a new one and install it as per instructions in the factory service manual which you can find and download from this site.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I notice my clutch cable around the clutch level make noise and needed to be lube very often (very 200 miles or so)

I am using WD40 currently... I might try the blue teflon stuff that I used on the chains next time...

Just wondering what everyone else is using to lube the clutch cable?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I notice my clutch cable around the clutch level make noise and needed to be lube very often (very 200 miles or so)

I am using WD40 currently... I might try the blue teflon stuff that I used on the chains next time...

Just wondering what everyone else is using to lube the clutch cable?
You can buy cable lube at any decent bike shop. Also a good idea is the little jig that fits around the cable, to which you attach the can of lube and spray until you see lube coming out the other end of the cable housing. That way you know the whole cable has been lubed, not just the top couple of inches. I wouldn't recommend chain lube because many of those lubricants dry with a waxy film.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Isn't that waxy film the lubricant itself?
I don't know, I guess so. Chain lube is formulated like that to keep it from flinging off the chain at speed. In a cable housing though, you want a lubricant that flows so that it will travel the length of the housing. That's why chain lube isn't a good choice.

·
Registered
577 Posts
chain wax works great on chains, controls, cables, what have you. yea, I can remember not having the $ to just buy a new cable...maybe fratedog will front you one:) .you can buy repair ends here and there and screw them on for the lever end, but the cable end, you'd probably have to get creative. necessity is the mother-in-law of invention.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You can buy cable lube at any decent bike shop. Also a good idea is the little jig that fits around the cable, to which you attach the can of lube and spray until you see lube coming out the other end of the cable housing. That way you know the whole cable has been lubed, not just the top couple of inches. I wouldn't recommend chain lube because many of those lubricants dry with a waxy film.
yeah I use one of those jigs, its called a plastic bag with the corner cut out to fit over the cable... :) fit the jig/plaggy bag over the cable, remake the bag seal to be oil tight, top up with oil of your choice and let it drip away to its hearts content.

BTW the clutch cable can be replaced without removing any panels.... having had this done when my clutch cable was found to be too stiff

·
Registered
99 Posts
I rerouted mine. I had similar issues and replaced as well...mine did not break however. do a search on this site for rerouting. I've had no trouble w/ mine since and keep it lubed up as well. You can pick up a cable oiler that works nicely at any cycle shop or harbor freight.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had this issue a while back, and after reading this thread it reminds me I have to lube mine soon. When I installed the new cable, lubing with proper lubricant and applying through the MotionPro tool, I only routed it through the frame as needed to get to the clutch and left it free-of-restraint around the fork and the great plethora of other cables. Has improved feel.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dupont teflon lube that I use on my chain,also use it to lube every pivot point on the bike,works great
+1 I do also. After every rain ride or wash I spray a bit in the cable, all pivot joints (pegs, levers and the pull at the clutch) and I spray a bit inside all the locks. The stuff is GREAT.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts