Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys find putting the Versys in gear from neutral to be more of a thud/clunk than a smooth transition? Shifting and downshifting at normal speed is pretty normal, from what I can tell, never had another bike, but dropping down into 1st from neutral you'd think something was breaking. Never had an issue, but thinking do I need another 2500 on this bike or some good ol WD-40? What gives?

Thanks.:dgi:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Normal unfortunately...I believe I have been told it is because of the positive neutral finder.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The Versys isn't the only bike that has that distinctive thunk going into 1st from neutral...
Becomes 2nd nature, and will be ignored (by you) in time...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the same "clunk" while going into 1st gear. I read up on it a little and someone mentioned that it may depend on the type of oil used. Many recommended Amsoil oil to help alleviate the "clunk" sound. I have been using Amsoil for over a year and couldn't be happier. Can't say for sure the oil was the magical fix, but the clunk is not as bad anymore.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you think the Versys clunks, you ought to be standing within half a mile of my VTX when I drop that sumbitch into gear. You'd swear the transmission was about to self destruct.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
Normal unfortunately...I believe I have been told it is because of the positive neutral finder.
Me too, but whenever you decide to go to synthetic oil, it'll decrease the "THUNK"!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found that if I'm quick with shifting technique, there is less clunk. Being at the right rpm when shifting yields less clunk. Throttle blip to right rpm when downshifting yields less clunk, including into first. Which is not to say I don't still get the occasional clunk--usually when I'm not paying attention--Doh! $0.02.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem then switched to synthetic oil and it seemed to resolve the problem. I would agree that Kawasaki's are clunky compared to Hondas I've owned in the past.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts