·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the Service Manual Page 2-14
Air Cleaner Element Cleaning
NOTE
○In dusty areas, the element should be cleaned more
frequently than the recommended interval.
○After riding through rain or on muddily roads, the element
should be cleaned immediately.

I've never worried about cleaning an air filter on any of my other Motorcycles after riding in the rain. Why is it mentioned here?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've ridden a lot of miles in the rain.
I've ridden a lot of miles on gravel roads.
Heck for that matter I've ridden alot of gravel roads in the rain. :thumbdown:
Cleaned my filter this winter and there was very little dirt in it at all.

I don't know what the rain would have to do with anything...

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've ridden a lot of miles in the rain.
I've ridden a lot of miles on gravel roads.
Heck for that matter I've ridden alot of gravel roads in the rain. :thumbdown:
Cleaned my filter this winter and there was very little dirt in it at all.

I don't know what the rain would have to do with anything...
Same here , the rain thing is kinda strange

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Very odd! I clean my filter every 20k miles or so whether it needs it or not. I ride 3 months in dusty conditions (SoCal) and 9 months in wet conditions Seattle WA. Must admit it was a bit dirty, but nothing dramatic.

Machog

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just cleaned mine after 10k miles it was not really dirty. Ride in the rain a lot never had an issue with it. No muddy roads yet and little dust.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So if you're supposed to clean it after rain, does that mean you should clean it after washing your bike?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found this thread because I was also surprised by this recommendation and about how hard it is to accomplish it!
Close inspection of the instructions show that the element should be oiled before being re-inserted into the engine. I believe the rain warning is due to this. I also think it was written by an defensive technician in the same line as "Do not use this hair drier while in the shower"...
The paranoid conspiracy-theorist in me thinks it might be because they look forward to you breaking (and then buying) parts in the process...
Regardless, I came to the forum looking for posts from other riders who had actually taken the air cleaner element out and saw, IRL, how dirty it looks. This is akin to crying wolf: What are we to believe is actually needed or just them covering their asses?

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Air filter is usually factory oiled with 30W engine oil which can migrate and be easily washed out.

Maxima Racing Oils: FAB-1 is a highly advanced synthetic based formula for all oil type fabric and foam air filter elements. FAB-1 is a superior oil for stopping the passage of dirt, fine dust, water and other harmful elements. FAB-1’s super tacky polymer and co-polymer additives attract and hold onto virtually all fine dust particles. The water-proof base of FAB-1 resists moisture from passing through the filter. FAB-1 prevents oil “wash out” of the filter from carburetor fogging and offers the best protection for your engine, spark plugs, carburetor and air filter.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=31

I've been using it for many years, and it works great.

Maxima's Oil Filter Cleaner recommended: http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=32

Maxima Air Filter Care Combo Kit: http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=260

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
I've ridden alot in the rain never cleaned the filter. Heres how my filter and plugs looked at about 8800 miles. Put in the Denso Plugs and a BMC air filter.

IMG_0558 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0559 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0560 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Perhaps the high moisture content cleans out the filter of oil more rapidly than dry air. Using better oil such as Invader's recommendation would be helpful. Weljo's air filter doesn't look all that dirty and its 8800 miles.

·
Registered
875 Posts
While not completely related to the rain question, the question begs to be asked Weljo....were the outer edges of your filter still oily to the touch?

I ask because we can see where the max air flow on the filter is, as is evidenced by the oily dirty appearance.

Mighten the high suction/airflow in this area draw the oils towards that area, from the surrounding filter media, hence it appears cleaner around the edges?
Dirt getting through the outer regions due to insufficient oil there?

Perhaps high humidity/rain will increase the oil migration to the center areas?

Just thinkin' out loud. And No I'm not trying to be funny....haha.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
Hey Grandpa Ron I'll have to check the filter and get back to you i have it boxed up sitting on a shelf. As soon as i'm up and about i'll let you know.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
While not completely related to the rain question, the question begs to be asked Weljo....were the outer edges of your filter still oily to the touch?

I ask because we can see where the max air flow on the filter is, as is evidenced by the oily dirty appearance.

Mighten the high suction/airflow in this area draw the oils towards that area, from the surrounding filter media, hence it appears cleaner around the edges?
Dirt getting through the outer regions due to insufficient oil there?

Perhaps high humidity/rain will increase the oil migration to the center areas?

Just thinkin' out loud. And No I'm not trying to be funny....haha.

:cheers:
Filter is simply dirtier when the air flows in, as admitted in the airbox via the inlet snorkels. All the airflow can draw moisture through the filter, along with dirt and weak filter oil such as engine oil or K&N's thin filter oil.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Heal well Weljo, realizing oil and water don't mix makes it a no brainer.
Good advice on the oil Invader, makes sense.
Does the "tacky" properties of the FAB-1 "oil" have any ill effect on injector systems? j/k

Not trying to turn this air-filter thread into "another oil thread". :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts