Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through all the photos of V's here, all your exhaust headers seem to look so... clean. How do you keep them clean? I've never owned a brand new bike, and my V was an ex-demo (from a shop by the beach no less, so covered in corrosion already - bah), and it's got a lot of junk baked onto the headers that no amount of polishing seems to get rid off. My SV was the same...

Any hints/tips?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cleaning the headers / downpipe

I purchased some dangerous header cleaner liquid that worked but it was very expensive and sufficient for a single use only. So I researched the ingredients. Similar item contained 15% HCl acid. Here I have been using the 20% HCl hydrochloric acid / muriatic acid /chlorhydric acid. That is cheap houshold cleaner. Warning! It is dangerous stuff, will cause terrible burn on your skin and damage to motor parts! Use it only for stainless steel pipes (not for chrome). Use rubber gloves. Use water to rinse. Motorcycle must be wrapped in plastic (shopping bag will do). Plastic spray bottle is used to spray the acid. A piece of cloth was used to shine the pipes. Then everything was rinsed by water. Even the acid that dropped on the concrete develops gas, do it outside. Gloves are a must!!!​

Attachments

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i just took a peace of dollar store stainless steel scouring pad and scrubbed mine down and it looks almost good as new (will take pics later)

didnt need any chemicals or all that bunch work... did make one hell of a mess out of my garage floor tho

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
I consider my "tarnished" header-pipes as an "anti-theft" device....

:wink2:

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
all the above works and fine sand paper too... but don't touch chemicals if you are not familiar with it.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
439 Posts
i just took a peace of dollar store stainless steel scouring pad and scrubbed mine down and it looks almost good as new (will take pics later)

didnt need any chemicals or all that bunch work... did make one hell of a mess out of my garage floor tho
I've owned two old Nighthawks and one was pretty neglected. Very fine stainless steel pads did the trick for me too. Just takes a bit of patience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts