Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother in law just purchased an 05 Beemer, and he let me ride it all week here in San Antonio. It is Hayabusa fast, but so smooth and stable - easy to ride and the brakes are awesome- abs- one finger on the front brakes controls the bike. For a bike weighing nearly six hundred pounds, it seems agile enough; although the Texas hill country is not the same as the Ozarks. I can't say the riding position suits me, but other than that, I can't fault it. Today it was cooler, and I reeeallly like the heated grips!

2005 BMW K1200S BumbleBee Paint, SBR slipon

·
Registered
251 Posts
So? When are you getting yours? Nice pics, BTW. I'm so jealous...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice bikes, and very fast (And gentlemenly.). Not 'Busa-fast, though. Easier to live w/every day...except for the price and maintenance. Cool bikes.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cls, you're probably right, I haven't ridden a Busa. The BMW K series did set a record at the Salt Flats and has a top speed of 188mph. Zero to 60 in 2.6. The R version was the fastest naked bike in 2005. It pulls like a train from 3k rpm, then it really wails. But, apart from the performance, the bike just felt solid and planted. I left it in the comfort mode on the ESA, and it was a super smooth ride in that setting. I don't fully understand the dualever front suspension, but it works. Very little brake dive, and easy to manuever. Oh, and I am not getting one, I just hope my brother in law keeps it a while.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeh, they had a couple of head-to-head tests and it falls short compared w/the 'Busa. for performance. However, for a road bike, it's actually better for most: more comfort, amenities, refinement, etc. The price and maintenance are the big negatives for me. OTOH, if you can get your brother-in-law (Or anyone else for that matter.) to loan you their's, that's sweet! Enjoy.

·
Registered
764 Posts
BEAR!!! Is this General Kawasaki Versys Discussions??? Not that it really matters, Nice beemer! HaHa! Happy New Year to all!:thanx:

·
Registered
286 Posts
BMW makes good bike, only problems is $$$$$.:D

:cheers:
It's all relative. They're expensive to purchase and outfit, yes, but they retain their value well, they last a LONG time with proper maintenance and BMW owners GENERALLY (anec-data, I know) tend to take pretty good care of their rides.

I think, when you buy a BMW, you have to be committed to long-term ownership to realize any value. I wouldn't think twice about buying a BMW with 30K mi on it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeh, but you still have to come up w/the original price. That's a big bite. Then you get into maintenance, dealer, parts prices, etc. issues. I agree Beemer makes a very nice product these days. They're just not nearly as easy to own as a Jap. bike, IMO, initially or long-term. OTOH, it's a good thing we all like different stuff.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I was thinking about moving from my 09 V to a BMW F800ST, so I followed a Owner's Forum for a few weeks to get a feelling for their issues. I was surprised at the number of Quality issues - many of which would leave you stranded. Not what I expected from BMW. I eventually was convinced that the issues could be handled, so I took a new F800ST for a test ride. It was a nice solid ride, but, compared to my Versys, it felt like a SUV (big car) and was very uncomfortable - foot pegs way too high, and body leaned forward. It was twice the cost of a Versys, half as comfortable, and less performance. So, I'm still riding my V.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I was thinking about moving from my 09 V to a BMW F800ST, so I followed a Owner's Forum for a few weeks to get a feelling for their issues. I was surprised at the number of Quality issues - many of which would leave you stranded. Not what I expected from BMW. I eventually was convinced that the issues could be handled, so I took a new F800ST for a test ride. It was a nice solid ride, but, compared to my Versys, it felt like a SUV (big car) and was very uncomfortable - foot pegs way too high, and body leaned forward. It was twice the cost of a Versys, half as comfortable, and less performance. So, I'm still riding my V.
Scotty,
I 'tested' the Wee Strom, the BMW F 650GS (twin) and the F 800GS, as well as the Versys (an '07), and bought the BEST! :goodidea:
That's why I now have TWO! :clap:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Makes me miss my BMW R1100S...:(

·
Registered
409 Posts
It was twice the cost of a Versys, half as comfortable, and less performance.
I used to own the original BMW F650, equipped with Givi bags, heated grips and handguards. It was very capable. I rode it to Mexico and back.

But I never was totally satisfied with it and I sold it after the Mexico trip. This year, I bought a Versys and fitted it with Givi bags, heated grips and handguards. It has almost all the advantages of the F650 without the drawbacks. The F650 was a good bike, but I'm happier with the Versys.

The K bikes have their own separate charms, however...

I seriously doubt I'll ever own another BMW. (But I wouldn't complain if my brother-in-law bought one and let me borrow it.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts