Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but no luck. My 2008 gives a chirp/squeek sound when first started (cold engine). It is just a single chirp/squeek immediately after the engine starts. A warm restart - no chirp. I recently changed back to the stock muffler. I don't remember hearing this with the slip-on (slip-on on bike when purchased). It sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I just re-torqued the 4 nuts at the head. Still one chirp. No sign of exhaust leaking at the header. I wish I ihad paid closer attention when the slip-on was on.

Ray

·
Registered
261 Posts
You probably could not hear it with the slip on.

I don't see any other responses.

Next stuff a rag in the tail pipe and fire it up. I will blow the rag out, but If the chirp still the same then exhaust has been ruled out.

David

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I went on a youtube hunt for V's starting up. I think I'm OK or at least have company.

Thanks again.
Ray

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2008 also did this. It is a torque limiter gear in the starter gear train. The first of the two gears between the starter motor and the starter clutch is a two piece affair, using spring loaded shims to hold the inner and outer gears together. I had the whole assembly replaced...both gears, and the starter clutch about $700 at a dealer. BTW, my bike has been down on the left side twice, once hard enough to smash the generator and cover, second time just a scuffed cover.

·
Registered
22 Posts
its the starter mine will do it also only when its 20 out or colder a lot of car starters do it bushing cold lube not working or lack of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
its the starter mine will do it also only when its 20 out or colder a lot of car starters do it bushing cold lube not working or lack of it.
My starter makes a grinding kind of sound just before starting up after sitting for several hours. Is this a sign of it going out? It never does it when the engine has been warmed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts