Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the service manual, the Chinese X 300 uses a 14 tooth front with a 37 tooth rear sprocket. I guess it must be meant as a pure street bike for China. Presumably there is a difference in the ECU as well. Here is a picture from China showing the small ring. Interesting.
Chinese 300.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Versys x300
37 Posts
It is a street bike, for crappy asian roads, not designed for freeway speeds.
In US, they needed to sell it as big boy bike that can do everything, but it's still road bike and not off road bike by any means. Some would disagree with me, but quality of components, lack of skid plate, lack of ground clearance, headers/exhaust under, lack of suspension travel, poorly designed and not heavy duty pivot for rear suspension, non switchable ABS...all of it is screaming road bike, bike for poorer countries.

·
Registered
2019 Versys x300
37 Posts
We are happy people think that way. Keeps others away.
Well...it's a fact. Ask Kawasaki employee, not a dealer. X300 was designed as a 250cc bike for Asian market...I mean markets with little to no freeways or decent roads. The fact that models for outside of Asia are 300cc (other than their crazy taxation on bikes above 250) is the fact that they got rid of Ninja 300, so it was a perfect fit.
Don't take me wrong, it's a great and versatile bike. I love it for my long multistate trips on secondary roads, and that's how this bike should be used. Paved, unpaved roads with no real off roading.
Many people won't agree with that, they say they do mostly off roading on x300, but then you hear it's easy to fix. Don't abuse it and it will give you years of happy service

·
Registered
51 Posts
is the fact that they got rid of Ninja 300
...and there was me thinking that Ninja 300 wouldn't pass latest EU emissions so they decided to build a new motor. The 400.

Asian market...I mean markets with little to no freeways or decent roads.
No only a Covid bubble you live in?

Edit: For an old guy a sit up and beg Ninja is perfect.

·
Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
21 Posts
Hi,
In my country (Europe), the X300 is a complete commercial failure : 90 units in 2019, and less than 50 units in 2020. And it's probably the end for this machine, here in France (to compare : MT07 = 4000 units in 2020). It took month to my dealer to just sell one ! I don't think a Versys 400 is scheduled.

See you later
Emmanuel

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well...it's a fact. Ask Kawasaki employee, not a dealer. X300 was designed as a 250cc bike for Asian market...I mean markets with little to no freeways or decent roads. The fact that models for outside of Asia are 300cc (other than their crazy taxation on bikes above 250) is the fact that they got rid of Ninja 300, so it was a perfect fit.
Don't take me wrong, it's a great and versatile bike. I love it for my long multistate trips on secondary roads, and that's how this bike should be used. Paved, unpaved roads with no real off roading.
Many people won't agree with that, they say they do mostly off roading on x300, but then you hear it's easy to fix. Don't abuse it and it will give you years of happy service
This is exactly how i use the bike. Sometimes when i am touring the GPS gets mixed up and puts me on a major highway even though i always tell Google maps to "avoid" highways. Yes, if you twist the throttle you can easily do 80 while fully loaded, but the bike does not feel planted. On secondary roads, however, the bike is a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe the Chinese bike has different gearing because of this:
Average weight of US man - 197 lbs
Average weight of CN man - 153 lbs
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts