Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the China engine guards that you can find on eBay, Amazon and AliExpress.
Seem to be quite similar to the Kwaka OEMs, at 55% the price.
The bars are good quality, fitted spot on and came with good instructions.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have some Chinese no name crash bars on my 650, that I got from Amazon. Most of the holes didn't line up, the welds look like a 3rd grader welded them, the paint faded within a year, and I replaced all the bolts because they were garbage. I made them work and have repainted them. But for the price, I feel I would have better off buying a name brand. However they have saved my bike from damage on two different occasions. Hopefully yours are better quality than mine are.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
They look good. I mainly put tip over bars on my bikes to have a place to mount accessory lighting, and sometimes highway pegs. I hope to never have to test their protection value. Multi-point mounted bars sometimes add rigidity to a bike making it more stable in the curves.

I bought an Amazon rack for my KLX300 SM because of the price and because it was designed to take a RotoPax mount without using adapters.

After watching Itchy Boots break the subframe on her CRF250L during the Kalahari Rally because of the rack, fuel, and tool bag, I don't think I will be riding rugged roads with much weight back there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have some Chinese no name crash bars on my 650, that I got from Amazon. Most of the holes didn't line up, the welds look like a 3rd grader welded them, the paint faded within a year, and I replaced all the bolts because they were garbage. I made them work and have repainted them. But for the price, I feel I would have better off buying a name brand. However they have saved my bike from damage on two different occasions. Hopefully yours are better quality than mine are.
I had the same experience with my Chinese center stand, it was junk. I knew better, but I guess I had to learn the lesson again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same experience with my Chinese center stand, it was junk. I knew better, but I guess I had to learn the lesson again.
Yeah, I'd been reading about some of these experiences ... that's why I've been somewhat surprised with these bars (everything looks strong & well finished, good fit, good instructions, fast delivery, good price)
:) dq.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought the China engine guards that you can find on eBay, Amazon and AliExpress.

View attachment 184248
View attachment 184247
View attachment 184246
I’m glad that worked out. I ordered crash guards from China off Amazon for $200. They looked good, and seemed decent quality. The instructions were kind of crap. And there was no place to mount the lower guard on the gear lever side (2018 650). I sent them back with pictures of the problem and was refunded immediately, so that was great.

I ended up with the TRex guards for engine and luggage racks. I like them, but they are 7/8”, and there are very few 7/8” mounts available for lights and foot pegs. Still noodling on that one.

I’m also not sure the luggage guards are smart, after hitting a sand pit and having the luggage guard dig into the burm and slam the front of the bike and me to the ground. I will likely take the luggage guards off when off-roading. They have some skid plates strategically placed to take the brunt of a slide on the road. I feel nervous about that now - whether they would slide or dig in and cause a pivot on the road too.

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
278 Posts
Yeah, I'd been reading about some of these experiences ... that's why I've been somewhat surprised with these bars (everything looks strong & well finished, good fit, good instructions, fast delivery, good price)
:) dq.
Could be the ones making them for Kawasaki, minus the extra markup. Probably not supposed to compete, but u know how that goes with China

·
Registered
127 Posts

View attachment 184248
View attachment 184247
View attachment 184246
The design of these (as a knock off) and the OEM genuine Kawasaki crash bars is not that good. They only have one solid frame mount through the ports on the side cowls. The front mount is only thin metal attached to a cage that is meant for the headlight and windshield. So there is a simple way to accomplish two things at once - beef up the crash bars by attaching them to a T-Rex Racing heavy duty skid plate. I've documented the modifications and parts/sources for the cheap parts to attach the two. The T-Rex HD skid plate is the only one that doesn't use the original little brackets for the lower engine plastic cowls which are attached to the screws/ears on the fragile aluminum oil pan. The oil pan was never designed to take any abuse from forces form a skid plate. I'm not a T-Rex employee only and engineer that found a simple way to start with the best Versys X300 skid plate available and make it MUCH better. I've just finished with the most recent skid plate update to be able to lift the whole bike in the air on a normal motorcycle jack. No other skid plate can to what you see in the picture below. I've documented many Farkle's (mods) on the X300 on my YouTube channel and invite you to check it out. LINK: trekOCLVone - YouTube
Gearing changes
Skid plate mods to solve the fore / aft support issue
Attaching the T-Rex HD skid plate to the OEM crash bars to solve the weak design
Sound bomb air horn install
Barkbuster install (the best most solid)
Electronics
Skid plate super beefed up to jack up the whole bike
Dunlop TrialMax Mission tire install
Full LED light swap up for maximum visibility and safety
more to come
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The crash bars did their job :) and paid for themselves.

My wife and I have just been bike camping touring for 12 days. Swapped bikes mid-way. She's decided that the Vx3 is now her's :ROFLMAO: . That leaves me with her XT250 ... maybe a 2nd Vx3 will join the stable if we can find one?

Anyway ... back to the crash bars ... when we visited a friend she toppled while doing a u-turn on a sloping narrow intersection. Result below. (sorry for poor pic quality, my intelliphone camera is on the way out)

Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Vx300 Embrace the Revs!
278 Posts
Good deal! My Italian lady friend has only handled a bike once. She decided to do me a favor and move my Vx for me. She underestimated the weight and it fell away from her. While trying to make the save, she ended up on top of the bike, on top of the concrete driveway. She tried lifting the bike but fortunately didn’t succeed (or it would have fallen on the other side too) Came inside to get me. I was pretty bummed to see her on her side, but hoisted her back up and checked the damage. Just some similar scratches on the guard. Had to bend back the heat shield on the exhaust, few scratches there. A small blemish on the mirror plastic too. Pretty good considering the fall and follow up pile driver maneuver. Lady friend had some wounds, cut her leg up, scraped her arm n such. She knew she effed up and clearly was feeling it. Didn’t see the point in rubbing her nose in it too. She later thanked me for not losing it on her and said that I’m sure not Italian.

·
Super Moderator
20,798 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts