Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then someone will ask how we check the oil on our 650s, so I mention what I do - hold the V upright after shutting it down, then I look down and I can see the level.

HOWEVER, on my cross-Canada ride I also noticed that the oil-level remains visible in the 'window' for awhile after you put the bike onto its side-stand, as evidenced by a "line" of bubbles as well as the color of the oil, so ANOTHER method of checking it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
You're suppose to check it ????? :wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not a fan of the glass eye. I used to have a Fuji engine had a threaded hole in the crank at the proper level. All you needed to do was fill the oil filler until oil ran out the hole, and poof! done.

much simpler and easier to deal with. the only downside was that you couldn't really check if the level was low, but I could live with that 'limitation'.

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear spools and a paddock stand work well too.

Really a must have if you do your own work on the bike.
I will say that the level is DIFFERENT between wheels on the ground, and rear-stand in use (so nose "low" as opposed to level). NOT an issue as long as you take the difference into account.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I like the sight glass over a dip stick. Quick check and no dripping or paper towels needed.

Kawasaki put it on the correct side by putting it opposite the side stand. I crouch or kneel and pull it towards me to balance and check it. It is easier to push it away from you and pull it towards you if it starts to get away from you.

Yamaha put the sight glass on the same side as the side stand. Don't care for that as much from a safety standpoint.

When I had my big Voyager XII, I used a dental mirror to check the level while I straddled the bike.

A paddock stand does take the bike a little off level, but if you are just checking to make sure you have enough oil for a ride then it is fine.

Bikes with oil pans are easy to check. Bikes with dry sumps have specific procedures for checking the proper oil level. Some of the bikes I have had make you go through a 6 minute ordeal to check the oil level.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I used to religiously check the oil level every ride. Now I check it weekly, or before each sporty ride/distance ride.

I also check tire pressures by the air tool only once a week. Otherwise I let out too much air and have to refill regularly!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I will say that the level is DIFFERENT between wheels on the ground, and rear-stand in use (so nose "low" as opposed to level). NOT an issue as long as you take the difference into account.
I checked it both ways and did not see any appreciable difference in the sight glass.

Back wheel is only about and inch and a half off the ground when on the stand.

The biggest factor is side to side lean. :wink2:

Which reminds me of a joke. "What do you call a women with a short leg?... Ileane.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The Versys is so light and the CG so low compared to all the DOHC inline fours I've owned over the years that pulling it upright to check the oil seems very easy, and I'm a 165 pound weakling. :^)

·
Super Moderator
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...I also check tire pressures by the air tool only once a week. Otherwise I let out too much air and have to refill regularly!
I check tire pressures EVERY ride the way truckers do - w/ a mallet.

I started w/ the pressures where I want them, whacked w/ the mallet and noted how it felt; removed some air - whacked again, etc; and again..., to give me a base-line. I re-check every few weeks w/ a gauge and my pressures have stayed consistently UP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts