Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Middle Tennessee! Finding it a bit awkward trying to check the oil level. Since I don't have a center stand holding the bike with one hand and trying to see the oil level viewing window presents a problem. Is there an easier way to check the oil.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can't get someone to help out. You could possibly park the bike with the handle bar against a wall to help keep the bike vertical.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Owner 2017 Versys X-300

Just purchased a new 2017 Versys X-300 a few weeks ago. Have about 200 miles on the bike right now and am lovin' it. Not sure if this is the way to do the second post. Guess someone will let me know.
Thanks! wilslt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks "whatarush"! Will try that. I was also thinking of putting something under the kick stand to center the bike. I think I'm just going to spend the money and get a center stand.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If a second person isn't available to help, I've seen where some people use a mirror to help with visibility.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-20734L-Telescoping-Inspection-Retractable/dp/B0034L471U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508687955&sr=8-1&keywords=mechanics+mirror

Hello from Middle Tennessee! Finding it a bit awkward trying to check the oil level. Since I don't have a center stand holding the bike with one hand and trying to see the oil level viewing window presents a problem. Is there an easier way to check the oil.
Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks BW! Believe it or not you reminded me that I have one of these mirrors somewhere in my tool chest! Gonna go look for it right now and give it a try. Guess I'm suffering from CRS "can't remember stuff".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tired the little mirror. My hands shake too much to see it. I used my I-phone and recorded a video while I lifted the bike worked that way pretty good. May try a larger mirror.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

IF it's similar to the "sight-window" on the 650s - I can look down while straddling my bike to see the level, and ALSO I check it (sometimes) by stopping the engine in gear (so it won't roll) on the side-stand, then go to the right side, pull it OFF its rest position on the stand to VERTICAL, then look down for the level.

I've also found that, if you hold the bike level after shut-down, put it onto the stand, then rather quickly go to the right-side you can view a line in the sight window showing what it WAS. Check this pic....

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The oil window on the V and for that matter the KLR650 is a breeze to check compared to the old Connies. The Connie had the window tucked into a dark area below the bevel drive area on the left side of the bike To check it you had to level the bike and squat way down to see it, keeping a precarious hold on the 200lb heavier bike that if tipped ever so slightly to the right would fall down. It was scary enough that I wouldn't do it unless up on the center stand or someone stationed on the right to keep it from going over. That center stand was really fun to deploy when loaded up for travelling, not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the Versys 650 and my wife has the 300x. The window on the 650 is quite easy to see on or off the bike, while that on the 300 is much lower and recessed - very hard to see. We have the center stand, even with that I have to get my eye level much lower to check it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I take a photo with my iPhone. I've also pulled it up vertical and tried putting it in a piece of wood -- but the photo works best for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I put my bike on the centerstand and get on my hands and knees, or put it on the lift and raise it to my level. Using a small pen light so I can see better. :smile2: Spend the money and buy the centerstand. Makes life much easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Chuck! I will have to save up some $'s for that purchase. I borrowed my wife make-up mirror that has a stand and put it next to the bike and with a flashlight I can see it perfectly. Don't tell my wife!!:wink2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
X-300 Power Adapter Install

I want to install the cig style power adapter in the dashboard where the factory one would be installed. Not sure how to take off the fairing or which ones need to be removed. Has anyone done this before and do you have any pics so I know how to remove the plastics?
Thanks from the 'Boro!

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...do you have any pics so I know how to remove the plastics?
Thanks from the 'Boro!
Take a look thru your OWNERS MANUAL. The 650 manual for the Gen 3 has the info in it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts