Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Video Description...Published on Oct 20, 2013
Rider claimed chain caught causing rear wheel to lock up. Bike was duct taped together and he was able to ride it. Chain was badly worn and had abouts 5 inches of play.
Thanks for Watching!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Holy fack! Like he didn't have enough audible warning from his neglected chain, beside the obvious slop... We can only hope this has slammed some sense in.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
When I was 16 had a DR 500 and the chain and sprockets were that stuffed the teeth chewed through the chain and spat the chain out on the road while I was going 100kph/ 60mph, I was very very lucky it spat it out clean. My Dad was not impressed as he had to drive 150 miles on a sunday with a trailer to pick me up. In those days nothing was open sunday.

It was making a noise my whole trip but being 16 and bullet proof thought I could make the 340 mile trip to my uncles and return next day.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Ouch!

I also was about 16 when I learned that valuable lesson. Two of my friends and I were coming back home from riding and were on a long, back neighborhood road and the faster one came up and punched it as did I. My chain promptly jumped off and got caught and I skidded for what seemed like forever as I eased her to the left side of the road hoping to save my valuable tread! One friend came rushing up asking if I was ok while the other took off to go get the calvary...his father's pick-up.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't think the chain locked the rear tire up, I think the rider locked the rear tire up. Watch his brake light and the wheel......The wheel mysterously started rotating again after the rider let off the brake.......
The chain was dangling on the road when the tire locked.
No doubt his chain was too loose but I think the crash was operator error. Classic high side, lock the brake, let off the brake, leave the bike.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I don't think the chain locked the rear tire up, I think the rider locked the rear tire up. Watch his brake light and the wheel......The wheel mysterously started rotating again after the rider let off the brake.......
The chain was dangling on the road when the tire locked.
No doubt his chain was too loose but I think the crash was operator error. Classic high side, lock the brake, let off the brake, leave the bike.
Agreed. After watching full screen several times, the chain has already came off the sprocket and is nowhere near the sprocket when it locked. Also, best guess if the chain did jam the wheel, it would have stayed jammed. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
His right foot was moved back and not on the rear brake pedal when the brake light first came on. He then moves his right foot ahead. Before brake light turns off, he eventually may have applied excessive rear brake force from the unexpected lack of engine braking just as the chain comes off rear sprocket.

We do hear his chain scraping around, but the raspy engine noise heard with normal acceleration and engine braking sounds is from the gold front/blue rear motorcycle travelling in the opposite direction, which may be confusing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Damn that's crazy. I'm pretty good about chain maintenance. I had a 96 VFR chain come off on me riding in the city, never did find it as I assumed it broke. The chain like any other maintenance should be taken seriously. Thanks for the video, I cleaned my chain this morning for a ride on Sunday to Dallas. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm with ray h and Capn Kirk on this one. Way up before the curve he does a little bounce which might have set the chain off which at 1:17 is clearly off. But instead of noticing the change in engine braking /traction he then gets busy waving ( actually as he should be really setting up his line, which he doesnt do so well). It seems he realizes he is going in too hot or has no feedback from his engine, tries to trail brake, locks the wheel and the rest is pretty clear.
Invader I couldn't quite get where you see his right foot move.

It could happen to anyone. Being sloppy I mean.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just wondering if the nice looking girl in the shorts and boots who gambols across the road at the end was who he was waving to? Maybe that distracted him?

·
Premium Member
16,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts