Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Zumo 660 and have it all set up and wired to my 2011 Versys. I have been pricing Bluetooth options to get the audio from the Zumo into my helmet... but the prices are just way more than I'm willing to pay at this point.

I'm usually a solo rider and have no need for any motorcycle to motorcycle communication... and I don't carry anyone on the pillion.

I figured I might be able to come up with an alternate... and significantly cheaper fix.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Coby CV123 3-in-1 Combo for around $5.00 at Walmart. It comes with Neckband Earphones, Ear Clip Headphones and Stereo Earphones.

Today, I opened things up and tossed the Neckband Earphones and the Stereo Earphones into my junk drawer... Then I clipped the Ear Clips off of the Ear Clip Headphones and found that they were pretty ideal for slipping in the ear area of the cheek pads of my Arai XD3 helmet.

I used a bit of velcro to make sure they stayed where I put them. I was then able to route and hide the wires between helmet components pretty neatly to the left side of the helmet. I am now am able to connect the new "helmet speakers" to the audio output of my Garmin Zumo 660... and it's all removable for when I'm not GPSing...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have you used them while riding yet? I had some cheap speakers in my helmet that plugged into my phone for music but the phone wasn't powerful enough to hear the music at more than 30 mph.
I bought the SENA SMH10 $155 and it's so much better. I use it for my phone,GPS and music. No wires hanging either.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The problem with speakers thin enough to work in a helmet is they typically sound awful. If you want good sound quality, consider a set of earbuds. They will direct better quality sound right to your ears and provide some noise attenuation as well. Turn off the sound and they function like ear plugs and are great for cutting out wind noise and to help reduce fatigue when you ride a long distance. Skull Candy Ink'd earbuds, as one example, sound quite good, are flat enough so you can get your helmet on over them, and they're cheap. I paid $10 for mine.

If you want really great sound, check out Shure in-ear speakers...bring money.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I checked them out on the road... but not above about 45. I also wear ear plugs... the squishy kind. I had earplugs in today when I went on the short test and because I'm only listening to GPS (no music/phone) I think they'll fit the bill for the moment.

I'm headed on a 900+ on Friday thru Sunday. That'll be a good test, I suppose... because I have the whole route already in my Zumo there will be a lot of GPS to listen to... but for five bucks... even if I'm sent back to the drawing board, I'm not out much.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If your tunes are MP3 format, load them onto a microSD card, slip it into the zumo and you can have directions plus tunes. And if you find the helmet speakers aren't cutting it on your long trip, you can always buy some earbuds at a convenience store and plug directly into your zumo audio output...no worries about sound output then.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the SENA SMH10 $155 and it's so much better. I use it for my phone, GPS and music. No wires hanging either.
I had my setup out... At speed... Later in the day and found it to be lacking in volume and clarity. I will use it this weekend but I'm guessing it won't be as capable as I'd hoped.

I think you're right Rocker. I found a new SENA SMH10 on eBay for $155 and decided to bite the bullet and go that way after all.

The Sena should be here next week. I've got a 5500 miler scheduled for July so I'll get my money worth out of it then, I'm sure.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just remember in many states, ear buds are illegal to use while riding. You will pay for you BT kit with your first ticket.

·
Registered
383 Posts
if you want to stay cheap. try the jvc marshmallows at wally world. come in colors. around $14 ear buds with squishy earplug material at end. blocks lots of noise and has clear sounds. I keep mp3 player in jacket pocket.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just thought I'd share an ebay find. These cost me $5.50 including postage and I thought they would be absolute crap but they sounded pretty good. I tried them with ear plugs in as well and that works. Not used to a helmet full of Rock'N'Roll but I thought it might be a bit of something different on my solo travels..

Edit: they are crap!! dunno what I was thinking!! Don't buy these they suck!!
hehe was a bit of fun with the kids for 15 minutes though

Attachments

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
if you want to stay cheap. try the jvc marshmallows at wally world. come in colors. around $14 ear buds with squishy earplug material at end. blocks lots of noise and has clear sounds. I keep mp3 player in jacket pocket.
I'll have a look at those! Thanks for the heads up! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts