Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I've found the best thing to set the fork oil level, which is very important to get exact, is a $1 turkey baster. You can also pick up a syringe at your local pharmacy. Just measure out the fork oil level on the side of the turkey baster and mark with a marker. Then insert the turkey baster in the fork tube up to the marker line and suck out the excess oil until its sucking air. The air gap is critical to get right as it functions as a bump stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting the old thread.

I've been rebuilding my forks today, and I couldn't figure out how to measure the oil level, as my OUTER fork tube is lower by about 3 mm than INNER fork tube, when the fork is fully compressed.

The manual states that I should measure from the top of OUTER fork, and the picture in the manual seems to imply that the OUTER tube should be higher than the Inner tube.

I've measured the corresponding 65/75 mm from the inner tube, but now I'm afraid that I'll blow my seals, or the forks won't work as expected.

So, are the outer tubes on your versys higher than the inner ones when fully compressed?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting the old thread.

I've been rebuilding my forks today, and I couldn't figure out how to measure the oil level, as my OUTER fork tube is lower by about 3 mm than INNER fork tube, when the fork is fully compressed.

The manual states that I should measure from the top of OUTER fork, and the picture in the manual seems to imply that the OUTER tube should be higher than the Inner tube.

I've measured the corresponding 65/75 mm from the inner tube, but now I'm afraid that I'll blow my seals, or the forks won't work as expected.

So, are the outer tubes on your versys higher than the inner ones when fully compressed?
Which model of V do you have? in the new ones, the left leg has an additional inner nut, which makes the inner tube shorter. So I would make the air gap a bit smaller. But the chance of getting your seals blown is very small, unless you really add too much oil and create a hydraulic lock. The left leg is designed in such a way that it is easier just to measure the amount of fluid that goes out by turning the leg upside down without unscrewing the inner nut, and fill it with the same amount of fluid. The manufacturer recommendations should serve only as a general guideline, not as and absolute must. adding more fluid, is a good way to firm up the front suspension, or filling the fork with higher viscosity fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which model of V do you have? in the new ones, the left leg has an additional inner nut, which makes the inner tube shorter. So I would make the air gap a bit smaller. But the chance of getting your seals blown is very small, unless you really add too much oil and create a hydraulic lock. The left leg is designed in such a way that it is easier just to measure the amount of fluid that goes out by turning the leg upside down without unscrewing the inner nut, and fill it with the same amount of fluid. The manufacturer recommendations should serve only as a general guideline, not as and absolute must. adding more fluid, is a good way to firm up the front suspension, or filling the fork with higher viscosity fluid.
Sorry for not making clear. I've got a Gen 2 650.
Will get some test rides then, and maybe re-do the oil change, just for the peace of mind.

Was really surprised that the outer fork tube gets around 5 mm below the inner one, when fully compressed (without the guts, when adding the oil). How much higher is your outer tube in relation to the inner one when fully compressed for adding oil?

Cheers.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sorry for not making clear. I've got a Gen 2 650.
Will get some test rides then, and maybe re-do the oil change, just for the peace of mind.

Was really surprised that the outer fork tube gets around 5 mm below the inner one, when fully compressed (without the guts, when adding the oil). How much higher is your outer tube in relation to the inner one when fully compressed for adding oil?

Cheers.
seriously, 5mm difference does not make any difference at all. you need to relax. let's say that you make 5mm bigger air gap, how will this effect the forks' performance? it will not. i used to reduce the air gap by 20mm in some bikes, to counteract front diving, and I was fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
seriously, 5mm difference does not make any difference at all. you need to relax. let's say that you make 5mm bigger air gap, how will this effect the forks' performance? it will not. i used to reduce the air gap by 20mm in some bikes, to counteract front diving, and I was fine.
Thank you, for setting me at ease.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts