Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike now has about 35,000 km on the original fork oil. Thinking I should plan a maintenance day to do this and other tasks like changing coolant, installing GPS mount, etc. Just wondering what is involved in the fork oil change? Do I require any special tools to complete?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yes, no, maybe.

I have a Fork Oil level height tool. Looks like a big turkey baster with a steel tube. There a collar on that tube you set to the level the oil should be at, from the manual , and use it the suck the extra out. Of course if you empty the fork tubs by pulling them and pouring all the oil out you can use a measuring cup to get the right amount in. The only thing hard to empty is the cartridge you maybe able to pump it and get the oil out.

I have seen a wooden dowel used to gauge the oil level. Too little oil and the fork will be under damped. Too much and it'll be very firm...likely harsh. I use this to "Tune" the dampening on my KLR add a bit and ride or drain some and try it. I ended up about what the factory called for, They some smart guys at times!

Best thing is to read the manual either a hard copy or online. It'll give you a better idea of what's involved. I'd rather do forks all day long than a valve shim job.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
You can make a fork oil level tool out of a spray bottle head. Cut the pickup tube to the desired fork oil level, overfill it a little and suck it down to the desired level.

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
You could also make one out of a 5/10/20ml syringe and a wooden Paddle-Pop stick (Popsicle stick for those on the other side of the pond).
Tape the stick perpendicular to the side of the syringe, at the desired level and suck.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen a syringe, they are free at the drug store, and turkey baster used for this. They just were marked, with a marker, at the appropriate level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts