Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just to be clear I removed the bolt holding the clutch lever. I know I am supposed to be aware of a spring that pops out. Should I loosen the clutch wire? If so how (the fat round dial nearest the handle)? Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Any one? Or is it to simple I shouldn't have asked? lol ok ok I will try it out when I get home. I am assuming you have to loosen up the clutch cable and pop off the top part.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
When I replaced a clutch lever I do not recall that I had to loosen the clutch cable.

Careful with replacing the coil spring so it's in just the right position. You should be able to see a round wear mark on one surface of the old clutch lever that will help you position it properly when you reassemble with the new lever. As I recall, I was wishing for a third hand when I put it all back together but I was able to do it solo.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was this thread with my clutch lever saga that has some photos and such:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11446
Right I saw that thread my question is I have removed the bolt and nut with the low profile socket those are the only 2 pieces I have removed. Now I can move the clutch lever assembly out like I did in my pictures that I posted. Is that pring underneath the 1-5 adjustment dial? That little broze bushing I can't see either. Just wanted to be prepared to see the spring is all. The blow up picture in the service manual is not that good IMO.

Thanks for sending link again

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The bronze bushing is what the clutch lever pivots on, it surrounds the post, so it goes in the hole in the clutch lever. As far as I can tell, the spring is what pushes the clutch lever back from the 1-5 adjustment dial mechanism. Also agree with Bones' recollection that the clutch cable doesn't have to be messed with.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Iirc you need simply to remove the nut, and the old lever should slip out of the assembly. Be aware of the spring which pushes back the indent from position 1 to position 5. I think I had mine so there was minimum tension on the spring, then just dropped the old lever out, slipped the new one in, made sure the indent (1 to 5) still functioned properly, aligned the hole with the mounting bracket, slipped the bolt back in, threaded the nut, and tightened.

BUT, do LUBE the pivot point where the cable enters the lever assembly. I used hi temp grease, just a dab or 2.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iirc you need simply to remove the nut, and the old lever should slip out of the assembly. Be aware of the spring which pushes back the indent from position 1 to position 5. I think I had mine so there was minimum tension on the spring, then just dropped the old lever out, slipped the new one in, made sure the indent (1 to 5) still functioned properly, aligned the hole with the mounting bracket, slipped the bolt back in, threaded the nut, and tightened.

BUT, do LUBE the pivot point where the cable enters the lever assembly. I used hi temp grease, just a dab or 2.
Thnaks guys! Stopping by the store gonne get some lube and get this thing done.... "get some lube....mmmm :eek:fftopic:" haha!

Talk to ya all soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts