Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change the chain and sprockets on my v 650 2011..
I am going with OEM Sizes and i am new at this and i just want to make sure i am buying the right parts..

I am getting :
Rear sprockets
JT Sprockets 520 steel rear speakers 46t
front sprockets
JT Sprockets 520 steel front sprockets 15 t natural
Chain
DID 520 x 114 links vx2 pro-street series sealed x-ring natural chain

Does it fit???
Do you advise otherwise??

Thank you fot your help

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I am getting :
Rear sprockets
JT Sprockets 520 steel rear speakers 46t
front sprockets
JT Sprockets 520 steel front sprockets 15 t natural
Chain
DID 520 x 114 links vx2 pro-street series sealed x-ring natural chain...Does it fit???...
Yes it fits.

...Do you advise otherwise??...
Nope.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The front sprocket can be tough to get off search the forum there are some good suggestions on here if you are having trouble with it.

I also have a 2011 and will be changing sprockets later this year. Please post back to this thread and let us know how things went.

JoH

·
Registered
807 Posts
It might be too late, but my two centavos'worth.

I used a Sunstar front sprocket one time and went back to the MaKaw sprocket. The factory sprocket has a rubber dampener in it that significantly reduces noise levels. Particularly nice when beating around locally w/out ear protection on slower streets. Highway use always finds me using ear protection, so it really wouldn't matter under those circumstances.

If you look around the factory ones can be had for just over $20US.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
342 Posts
It might be too late, but my two centavos'worth.

I used a Sunstar front sprocket one time and went back to the MaKaw sprocket. The factory sprocket has a rubber dampener in it that significantly reduces noise levels. Particularly nice when beating around locally w/out ear protection on slower streets. Highway use always finds me using ear protection, so it really wouldn't matter under those circumstances.

If you look around the factory ones can be had for just over $20US.
JT also make a 15T rubber cushioned front sprocket https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182827320398

·
Registered
677 Posts
> The factory sprocket has a rubber dampener in it that significantly reduces noise levels.

I've had 4 rubber'ed ones and 8 regular ones, and I haven't heard any difference at all.
You might be fooled by the disappearance of wear noise when you change it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've heard the sound difference the cushioned sprocket makes. I first noticed it gently pulling away from a stop, then twisting. As soon as I twisted, the chain noise was clearly much louder. The same happens when cruising then adding throttle to climb a grade, pass a vehicle, etc. I can replicate it on demand.

The rubber cushion makes a difference, but it certainly isn't required.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
personally on my 08 im running an un-dampened front sprocket and have changed over to a 43or42(to lazy to go look) rear sprocket and and not bugged by the "extra noise" from the front sprocket and with the change of the rear sprocket have noticed the speedometer is almost spot on now and it gets far less front end happy under HARD acceleration in first and second gear specially when riding 2 up.... but to each there own

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having used both a solid and OEM front sprockets, I can say that there is an audible sound with the solid. Some can't hear it or don't care, but it was obvious to me when not using hearing protection. Just annoying enough to use OEM ever since.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I've heard the sound difference the cushioned sprocket makes. I first noticed it gently pulling away from a stop, then twisting. As soon as I twisted, the chain noise was clearly much louder. The same happens when cruising then adding throttle to climb a grade, pass a vehicle, etc. I can replicate it on demand.

The rubber cushion makes a difference, but it certainly isn't required.
ALL the countershaft sprockets I have installed (after removing the OEM rubber-damped ones) have been just 'bare-boned' ones w/out the rubber.

Having used both a solid and OEM front sprockets, I can say that there is an audible sound with the solid. Some can't hear it or don't care, but it was obvious to me when not using hearing protection. Just annoying enough to use OEM ever since.
I've not noticed any noise from it, as I ALWAYS wear ear-plugs, like these....

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17097/Hearing-Protection/Laser-Lite-Earplugs-Uncorded?pricode=WB1063&gadtype=pla&id=S-17097&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aTUBRC2ARIsAPoPJk93ZeqXs-c1oGiDbiIrA1WIK6kKzj5kQtIyNAuBhRqov_2MbARrhKEaAr64EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
307 Posts
ALL the countershaft sprockets I have installed (after removing the OEM rubber-damped ones) have been just 'bare-boned' ones w/out the rubber.
I wear earplugs most every ride, and I can hear the change in chain noise. It is surprising how loud the chain can be under load. I have to wonder what vibrations are also being damped by that rubber sprocket?

Maybe you should try a rubber damped sprocket next time. The engineers might just be on to something.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello
just an update ...

the sprockets did not fit my bike ..

for the rear sprocket, the opening in the old one and the new one did not match.
for the front one ,, the frame is a little thicker than the old one ..
so ive chainged my chain and kept the old sprockets .. unfortunately

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
hello
just an update ...

the sprockets did not fit my bike ..

for the rear sprocket, the opening in the old one and the new one did not match.
for the front one ,, the frame is a little thicker than the old one ..
so ive chainged my chain and kept the old sprockets .. unfortunately
I just replaced chain and sprockets on my 2015 V-650.

It's not a good idea to install a new chain on old worn sprockets. It can cause premature chain wear cutting down the life of the chain.

Check out my recent post
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/162-general-discussions-v-650/210377-new-chain-sprockets.html

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts