Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a chain and sprocket change, the stocker is just about done I think.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 14T and a 16T countershaft sprocket to go with a stock 46T rear sprocket. I use my V as a daily rider and a touring bike. For daily around-town use I want the 14T for a bit more pep and to lower my cruising speed at my normal 6k RPM. But for longer trips, I want the 16T for fuel efficiency and less revvy miles.

My question is about chain length. Can I use a stock-length chain (114 link, right?) with both sprockets? Is there enough adjustment room at the adjuster or am I going to need a different length chain? I'm hoping I can use the same chain because it's a really simple procedure to swap countershaft sprockets with the chain still on the bike.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Stock chain length will work fine but you should replace the chain. If the sprockets are shot so is the chain IMO. Dont cheap out either, go OEM or a solid company selling a good product. I cheaped out on a Fleabay deal and had to replace in less the 6 K. I went with Driven sprockets twice now and thier set up lasted as long as OEM. I would have been happy with OEM as they lasted as long as the Driven stuff did but I know those guys and wanted to give them the biz.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about going with Sunstar steel sprockets front and rear, with the 16T being the damped one. And yeah, my plan is to buy a new chain, 46T rear, 14T front, and 16T front all at the same time. The whole system is getting replaced.

Is Sunstar a decent brand or should I look at something else? What about chain brands? I've heard I can do better than OEM, any recommendations?

Also we use a 520 chain, right?

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
I was thinking about going with Sunstar steel sprockets front and rear, with the 16T being the damped one.
Is Sunstar a decent brand or should I look at something else?
FYI, the original rear stocker on my '08 IS a Sunstar, and I've used them as replacements on a KLR, and for the front (non-damped) of my '08.

...Also we use a 520 chain, right?
Yes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Beware that counter-shaft sprocket nut! It can be a bear to remove if this is the first time. Do a little research here and prepare accordingly.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ditto the warning of the front sprocket removal. The right tools allows you to remove it in a jiffy. Else, it will be one frustrating exercise. I would ride to a auto mechanic shop and borrow their pneumatic wrench for that 2 second blip of the tool.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already prepared, going to swing by a friend's place to use their 3/4" impact wrench. I figure I'll just pull the cover and the speedo sensor, knock it loose with their wrench, then torque it back by hand so I can get it off and do the actual change at home.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Use a good 6 point 1-1/16" (26.9825mm) socket on countershaft nut.

Only Kawasaki OEM c/s sprockets are rubber dampened. Aftermarket Sunstar sprockets are not rubber dampened... An OEM Kawasaki KLX300 14T sprocket would most likely have the rubber damper... For about half the price at under $12, a Yamaha OEM 14T # 5NG-17460-00-00 like I had on my 2002 WR426F has the rubber damper. It's also the same JTF 565 fit. (SC: self cleaning/lightweight)

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue

Then there's Yamaha's WR450's OEM rubber damped 13T sprocket # 5TJ-17460-00-00.

My original chain stretched out unevenly and had to be replaced at 2600 miles. I like my actual DID 520 VM Gold X-Ring chain a lot.

http://www.didchain.com/streetChains.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more question, do I need the special tool from DID to install one of their X-ring chains?

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
IF it's a 'rivet' style chain, you WILL need a tool (tho' I know that some have 'peened' the rivet-ends with a punch and hammer), but not necessarily from DID. Cycle Gear sells a set for around $39 on sale.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I've got one of the cheaper Cycle Gear ones, but reading the instructions for the X-Ring chain it looks like you need a different tool.

Between the added cost of the chain and the tool, I think I might be better off with a normal O-ring chain for half the price that can be installed with the tool I've already got.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heh, I aim to please. This will be my first-ever DIY chain and sprocket swap, so I want to make sure I get it right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts