Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I replaced the OEM muffler with the LeoVince underbody I can hear my chain. I generally keep the chain in good nick I lube it approx every 500 km and adjust it when necessary. It was annoying me on a ride yesterday so today I checked it again it felt a bit dry so I lubed it and it was nearing the maximum (35mm) so I adjusted it to the minimum (25mm).
Took it for a ride around the block and I can still hear it. Before I removed the OEM muffler I never heard it the only conclusion I can draw is it is something to do with the shape of the muffler!
Any comments welcome. :confused::feedback:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case you don't know what a LeoVince Underbody is here are photos

OEM

LeoVince Underbody

No the shifting spanner is not still there I was using it to adjust the position of the muffler during fitting.

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
Is the chain in alignment???

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
There's the problem... remove the wrench, and you forgot a bolt! LOL

Put standard muffler on and sell me the LV... fixed! ;)

I just did a chain adjustment last week.
I noticed 2 things.
I tightened to spec and retightened as suggested - I still had to tighten a bit more to align one of the Cotter pin holes. Next day on way to work (15min) could hear a rhythmic pulsing. That afternoon I redid the alignment and kept undoing the axel nut then redoing it with 109Nm torque till the cotter pin hole lined up without over tightening... no more noise - I think that little bit of overtighening was too much - but was withing the +30deg spec.
Also noticed that when tightening the axel nut your chain tension changes - mine tightened +5mm so I set it at 35mm and now after tightening the axel nut it sits at 30mm. Axel alignment marks are OK.

how are your sprockets? not worn? tightening the chain may grip the worn sprockets more and you hear the friction as the chain is feeding and releasing on the teeth.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there good clearance between chain and LV UB muffler? Does your chain slack vary as it turns?
Yes and not that I can tell

How do the O rings look? Any stiff places on the chain?
O rings look good and no stiff bits

Is the chain in alignment???
Yes

There's the problem... remove the wrench, and you forgot a bolt! LOL

Put standard muffler on and sell me the LV... fixed! ;)

I just did a chain adjustment last week.
I noticed 2 things.
I tightened to spec and retightened as suggested - I still had to tighten a bit more to align one of the Cotter pin holes. Next day on way to work (15min) could hear a rhythmic pulsing. That afternoon I redid the alignment and kept undoing the axel nut then redoing it with 109Nm torque till the cotter pin hole lined up without over tightening... no more noise - I think that little bit of overtighening was too much - but was withing the +30deg spec.
Also noticed that when tightening the axel nut your chain tension changes - mine tightened +5mm so I set it at 35mm and now after tightening the axel nut it sits at 30mm. Axel alignment marks are OK.

how are your sprockets? not worn? tightening the chain may grip the worn sprockets more and you hear the friction as the chain is feeding and releasing on the teeth.
$1,000 and it's yours lol. Obviously with over 19,000 km there is wear but it is not noticeably worn.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I replaced my chain recently as it was making noise . It was streched in places as well so it couldnt be adjusted properly . noises gon

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The times when I suddenly notice chain noise on my V is when I forget to put in my ear plugs.

When you put the LeoVince muffler on, did you stop using your earplugs, so you could hear your new exhaust sound?

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
Are you sure..Don't trust the adjustment marks on the swing arm.....

IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
The OEM chain on my '08 (49,000 miles) is still going strong, no noise, etc. I replaced the one on my '09 at about 40,000 kms after my D2D 2013 ride, as it got very noisy. I think being a 'left-over' it'd sat out side for a couple of years before I got it, so the chain had "used-up" a lot of its life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts