Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi all,

quick question please I have a new Versys 650 and I am approaching fast a 1000 kilometers! I am supposed to lube the chain and maintenant it but I do not really kno how!
Any tips please?
Thanks
First get yourself a packjack or equivalent. It keeps you from having to put your bike up on a motorcycle stand every time you want to lube your chain. Then lube your chain with Du Pont chain lube with teflon. I used it on my V650 since buying it new and my chain stayed in excellent shape. I changed my sprockets and chain out at 23k miles and both were still in good condition. I could easily have made it to 30k miles but decided to swap every thing out as I was anticipating doing a long ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whatever method you use, keep your fingers out of the chain unless its blocked/in gear etc. Too many pics of severed fingers in the sprocket. Happy days!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Boby, welcome aboard!

There are a lot of opinions and methods on chain maintenance. What it comes down to is keeping things clean and keeping the chain properly lubricated.

You can use a "pit stand" to raise the entire rear wheel off the ground, or a "Snap-Jack" type of stand. Ideally the wheel is off the ground so you can spin it by hand to get to the entire chain.

The hinge between each link is sealed with grease internally. Your chain is some form of X-Ring, O-Ring, or similar, where there is a tiny rubber seal on each side of that hinge. Some products will damage that seal, which can cause the chain to die early. Use a product specifically for chains to avoid that damage.

There is a roller on each link which is what contacts the sprocket teeth. The roller, well, rolls. This is the part that needs to be well lubricated. The under side, between the roller and the hinge. Thus you need a liquid, not a paste, lube. The lube needs to be thin enough to penetrate into that tight space.

The side plates will rust if they are not protected, but coating the side of the chain with lube is not the main goal of chain maintenance! Too much lube on the side plates will attract dirt.

The chain does need to be cleaned before lubing. For cleaning I use a motorcycle chain spray cleaner. The goal is to get the visible crap off the chain and sprockets. You can use paper towels or cheap shop rags. You are cleaning off the black greasy crud and any sandy grit. (once in a while take the cover off the front sprocket and clean the goop out, maybe once per year).

Put a piece of cardboard behind the chain so the tire and wheel don't get anything sprayed on them.

Now that you have cleaned the chain and understand the goal of lubing, go ahead and lube with a good chain lube. Remember you are trying to get it under those rollers. Spray the lube onto the inside edge of the side plates, not on the outside of the side plates, so it can run down under the rollers. Use a rag to wipe off as much as you can so dirt won't stick to the chain.

Which lube? Lol, plenty of opinions and choices! The most important thing is to lube frequently. About every 400-500 miles, which is every second tank of gas. Some people swear by WD-40, but if you read the details they lube much more frequently, like every time they ride. Just buy a motorcycle chain lube spray (or liquid) and use it frequently.

Chain makers recommend plain old gear oil. But it isn't very easy to use, thus all the spray products on the market.
Thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

quick question please I have a new Versys 650 and I am approaching fast a 1000 kilometers! I am supposed to lube the chain and maintenant it but I do not really kno how!
Any tips please?
Thanks
If the bike is new and just done 1000km then you need to change the oil and filter as well. Normally this first service is free or cheap from the dealer in the UK - and they check over for loose bolts etc. Also needs the dealer's stamp to keep the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
20,443 Posts
Look through your OWNERS MANUAL - LOTS of good info like lubing your chain...!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts