Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

quick question please I have a new Versys 650 and I am approaching fast a 1000 kilometers! I am supposed to lube the chain and maintenant it but I do not really kno how!
Any tips please?
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard and do enjoy your ride. Be safe.
Chain maintenance is quite easy as you get a can of chain lube and spray every 500km or when ever you feel its dry.
Thank you for your support team :)
I now have 900 k I completely forgot I have to do it! Hope it's not gonna be a big impact!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Whatever you do, resist to temptation to clean the chain by lifting the rear wheel off the ground and running the engine in first gear, while holding a rag on the chain.

Always work slow and steady, and keep fingers and cleaning cloth away from where the chain meets the rear sprocket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whatever you do, resist to temptation to clean the chain by lifting the rear wheel off the ground and running the engine in first gear, while holding a rag on the chain.

Always work slow and steady, and keep fingers and cleaning cloth away from where the chain meets the rear sprocket.
Thank you :) great help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to worry and it wont be a big impact. Just oil it and keep the right slag. Be safe.
Thank you just got the oil now
Will clean the chain and will wait an evening before starting to ride again

have a good day :)

·
Administrator
8,167 Posts

PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND NEVER RUN THE ENGINE IN GEAR TO CLEAN THE CHAIN TILL YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE BIKE OPERATIONS.. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
this is how I clean my chain:

ChainBath

I was in your position and I had to change my chain at 19k km because I didn't clean it.
I didn't like the "classical" method spraying the chain, use the brush...
A lot less mess, cleans properly and it's easy and fast.

·
Registered
176 Posts
this is how I clean my chain:

ChainBath

I was in your position and I had to change my chain at 19k km because I didn't clean it.
I didn't like the "classical" method spraying the chain, use the brush...
A lot less mess, cleans properly and it's easy and fast.
What solvent do YOU use?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I used WD-40 but it was a little bit expensive and I felt it left the chain a little bit dry.
I'm using kerosene now and I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use diesel to clean the chain.
After I clean the chain with diesel, the chain stays greasy from it, so I know to use liquid dish detergent and go over the chain quickly and remove the extra thin layer of grease which leaves diesel (sometimes I don't use dish detergent, so only after washing with diesel I clean and dry the chain very well with towel) .
I wash everything well, dry the chain with old cloths, and then lubricate it nicely with chain lube.

For chain lube I use this product, I am very pleased with him

I clean chain every 1000km, and every time I cleaning chain I clean front sprocket also.

Reactions: Fastoman

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Boby, welcome aboard!

There are a lot of opinions and methods on chain maintenance. What it comes down to is keeping things clean and keeping the chain properly lubricated.

You can use a "pit stand" to raise the entire rear wheel off the ground, or a "Snap-Jack" type of stand. Ideally the wheel is off the ground so you can spin it by hand to get to the entire chain.

The hinge between each link is sealed with grease internally. Your chain is some form of X-Ring, O-Ring, or similar, where there is a tiny rubber seal on each side of that hinge. Some products will damage that seal, which can cause the chain to die early. Use a product specifically for chains to avoid that damage.

There is a roller on each link which is what contacts the sprocket teeth. The roller, well, rolls. This is the part that needs to be well lubricated. The under side, between the roller and the hinge. Thus you need a liquid, not a paste, lube. The lube needs to be thin enough to penetrate into that tight space.

The side plates will rust if they are not protected, but coating the side of the chain with lube is not the main goal of chain maintenance! Too much lube on the side plates will attract dirt.

The chain does need to be cleaned before lubing. For cleaning I use a motorcycle chain spray cleaner. The goal is to get the visible crap off the chain and sprockets. You can use paper towels or cheap shop rags. You are cleaning off the black greasy crud and any sandy grit. (once in a while take the cover off the front sprocket and clean the goop out, maybe once per year).

Put a piece of cardboard behind the chain so the tire and wheel don't get anything sprayed on them.

Now that you have cleaned the chain and understand the goal of lubing, go ahead and lube with a good chain lube. Remember you are trying to get it under those rollers. Spray the lube onto the inside edge of the side plates, not on the outside of the side plates, so it can run down under the rollers. Use a rag to wipe off as much as you can so dirt won't stick to the chain.

Which lube? Lol, plenty of opinions and choices! The most important thing is to lube frequently. About every 400-500 miles, which is every second tank of gas. Some people swear by WD-40, but if you read the details they lube much more frequently, like every time they ride. Just buy a motorcycle chain lube spray (or liquid) and use it frequently.

Chain makers recommend plain old gear oil. But it isn't very easy to use, thus all the spray products on the market.

·
Registered
2013 v650
282 Posts
Fly-Sig nailed it here is my way

When you clean your chain you are just getting the excess lube and dirt off of it. Do not soak or aggressively scrub the area of the rubber seals between the link plates with cleaners. The internal pin to bushing of the chain is lubed and sealed. I use a rag with a little kerosene on it. It doesn't take much to break up the dirt and dried grease. Then use the chain lube of your choice. You do want to lube the area of the seals and roller contact area of the sprockets. This lube also helps to clean any dirt from the seal area. When the seals are damage the pin to bushing will wear faster and because you won't damage all of the seals it will wear unevenly.

I do mine on a paddock stand and turn the wheel by hand. I lube about every other fill up and clean when the area starts to look grungy. I don't ride off road or use this bike for long rides so I can do mine at home.

Avoid using a pressure washer on the chain or around your wheel bearing areas.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Very good points here, and I studied this a little bit when I designed my ChainBath.

My personal observations:
-it is almost impossible to clean well around the O-rings just by spraying it
-it is very difficult to clean between the links with a brush. usually the brush cleans well the outside link, and it looks good, but it's not where you need to clean it
-you need to clean around the O-rings to protect them
-there is no way you can clean inside the rollers by just spraying or having a rug to run the chain through
-having a lube inside the rollers, without cleaning them properly, will trap the dust inside and create friction

After doing a lot of research, I saw that the best method to clean a chain is by having it submerged in cleaning solution
Going step by step, in multiple iterations, I was able to bring a bath of solution on the bike, without removing the chain.
It cleans exactly where the chain needs cleaning: around the O-rings and inside the rollers.

My chain feels "light", I don't feel that friction anymore.
I was just talking to somebody about this and I realized how I can express this feeling: it feels like the wheel wants to go faster than me, not that I'm trying to pull it.

·
Registered
978 Posts

I do the initial chain cleaning by letting the bike run on first gear, but I use a brush. then after turning the bike off, I use a a cloth to clean it further. me too, as someone mentioned here, use diesel. it is great stuff, and it kind of lubricates the chain. and it is so cheap. and gear oil is another cheap way to lubricate the chain. i have many bikes, so I don't want spend a fortune on a chain maintenance that I will have to replace anyway. For instance, I was really taking care of my chain in Vulcan S, that I sold recently, and even replaced the front sprocket which wears quicker (some people recommend to do so), and it lasted just 20.000 km.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi all,

quick question please I have a new Versys 650 and I am approaching fast a 1000 kilometers! I am supposed to lube the chain and maintenant it but I do not really kno how!
Any tips please?
Thanks
YouTube is your friend. Not to mention doing a search on this forum. If you have thought it. It’s already been discussed a 1k times.
Hope you are enjoying your motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts