Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

I have a 2018 Versys 650. I just purchased a 48t rear sprocket. Even with the chain adjustment as loose as it can be, it is still tight.
I want to lengthen the chain but can't find the stock link count. I will be purchasing a new chain. Once I find the link count, how many more links would be recommended for adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket?

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'd think one extra link would be enough. But buy a chain with 120 links, then lay the chain on there before cutting it to see where you'd need to cut it. Then you'll know. Get a good chain tool, it's worth it.

On another note, out of curiosity, why did you go with the 48? It seems that most people go down a couple teeth to get lower RPMs. But I guess if you mainly ride off road, a 48 might be good.

·
Registered
996 Posts
from 114 to 116, you are adding 2x 5/8 inch to the chain. One of these is on half the larger rear sprocket, the other is divided by the 2 halves of the chain. So you'd use about 5/16" (8mm) of your adjuster bolts. The service limit of chain wear is 0.1" per 20 links, plan about another 5/16" of adjuster bolts. So it you think you have 5/8 to 3/4" of adjuster bolts range, It seems a 116 links would not be too loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts