Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too hot to finish up with the maintenance on the bike yesterday so left the chain cleaning for today. I use Goop Hand Cleaner (without pumice) to clean the chain or anywhere theres grease on the bike. Hosed of with water then spray with WD-40 to dissipate any water that my be left then use the can of the good stuff you can't get any longer Dupont Chain Lube (Blue Can) took the front sprocket cover and cleaned it with the Goop and the straight end of the grunge brush. I hate the chain wax they use at the dealership. Then put the Motion-Pro Chain Alignment Tool on it to make sure the chain is straight. Lined up perfect & didn't need to adjust the chain slack so all is good.

Chain Cleaning by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
96 Posts
You've got it all THAT clean and it still starts and runs???

Reactions: weljo2001

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait....What?!? You're supposed to CLEAN the chain?!? :p

I don't think mine looked that clean when it was brand new!!

Coming off a shaft drive bike its a pain dealing with the chain but if you gotta do it at least put some effort into it. So far everything on this bike has been super simple to work on. Kawi put some thought into making things easy to deal with.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yep. First bike was belt drive. Then shaft. Then 64k miles with a chain on the Bandit 1200. Was NOT as thorough as you are (not even close) and shortened the lives of the chains.

But then I commuted rain or shine (often rain) in Seattle and Nor Cal, so cleaning it got tedious.

Trying to be better with the V :)

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. First bike was belt drive. Then shaft. Then 64k miles with a chain on the Bandit 1200. Was NOT as thorough as you are (not even close) and shortened the lives of the chains.

But then I commuted rain or shine (often rain) in Seattle and Nor Cal, so cleaning it got tedious.

Trying to be better with the V :)

Its pays off. The stock chain on my V650 was still on the bike when i sold it with 22,000 miles on it and still looked damn near new. The guy that bought it off of me said he mechanic just couldn't believe it was the stock chain as good as it looked.

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Coming off a shaft drive bike its a pain dealing with the chain but if you gotta do it at least put some effort into it. So far everything on this bike has been super simple to work on. Kawi put some thought into making things easy to deal with.
How often do you clean & wax the chain?
I also come off a shaft drive bike and tend to find chain maintenance tedious to say the least.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Time for me depends on conditions...
I commute on a KLR650 so I clean the chain about every 400 (doesn't see dirt roads on commute)
V1K - I'm doing this one at 500 mile intervals (1600 miles so far)

I use kerosene for cleaning and "insert your favorite" chain lube...

I can clean and lube a chain in 15 minutes if I rush. I do it during down time in the shop...and enjoy it.
Maybe someday I'll get a lift.

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How often do you clean & wax the chain?
I also come off a shaft drive bike and tend to find chain maintenance tedious to say the least.

I lube it every 5 hundred miles or so and clean it when needed.

I never use chain wax. Its seems to attract grit and grime more. I always use the Dupont Multi-Purpose which is the blue can in the photo. They no longer have that but they do have Dupont Chain Saver in a yellow can that i will use once the blue can is empty. I've seen it in Wal-Mart and have bought it at Lowes & Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I lube it every 5 hundred miles or so and clean it when needed.

I never use chain wax. Its seems to attract grit and grime more. I always use the Dupont Multi-Purpose which is the blue can in the photo. They no longer have that but they do have Dupont Chain Saver in a yellow can that i will use once the blue can is empty. I've seen it in Wal-Mart and have bought it at Lowes & Home Depot.
Thank you! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts