Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on here that you need to use a 6 point socket verses a 12 point socket to change the front sprocket. is this true? all I can find it all of the local stores is 12 points in the 27 millimeter size.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
As long as you have the correct metric size, it is all that matters. I would not risk using a similar sized imperial size socket as you could possibly strip the nut causing some real serious issues.

Don't forget to bend back the lock washer before attempting to loosen the sprocket nut. An impact wrench comes in really handy when trying to remove this nut as it can be very tight.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
impact wrenches come in handy for breaking loose the nut
but keep in mind the different heat treating involved in making an impact socket. Normal sockets can & do come apart when stuck on the end of an impact....sometimes energeticly

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
impact wrenches come in handy for breaking loose the nut
but keep in mind the different heat treating involved in making an impact socket. Normal sockets can & do come apart when stuck on the end of an impact....sometimes energeticly
Always wondered what the difference was but what you say makes sense. I've always just used my regular sockets though with my electric ($60) impact wrench and never had issues however but it does not have the power of the professional pneumatic wrenches either.

·
Registered
642 Posts
As long as you have the correct metric size, it is all that matters.
The 1 1/16" socket is just a bit smaller than the 27mm socket perhaps providing a sufficient advantage in not rounding off the nut.

Personally I used the 27mm socket and an impact wrench. The nut came off easily.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Find and use a six-point socket, and avoid a possible problem.
It can get messy if a 12-point socket fails.
And, it's a lot easier if you use an impact wrench.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after learning I could use the 1-1/16 i bought that for $5 qt lowes. hit the nut with my impact gun and it pops right off. got everything swapped out now I just need to take the bike to my friends house to get him to rivet the new chain on.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
I have read on here that you need to use a 6 point socket verses a 12 point socket to change the front sprocket. is this true? all I can find it all of the local stores is 12 points in the 27 millimeter size.
A 12 point can MORE easily 'slip' than will a 6 point, rounding the nut (or WORSE!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts