Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like I'm snakebit. No,on second thought, just stupid. After over a year and a half I thought I had this thing down pat but I don't.

I know that I said the stand worked on either a lowered or a standard, however now I discover I am wrong. I have a lowering link in mine and developed the whole stand around that assuming the only difference was the lenght of the legs. I did not have a standard size Versys to actually mount it so I assumed there would not be a problem. The stand will fit on a standard bike, however when the bike is on the stand, the rear wheel is against the cross-member acting like a brake. The wheel is off the ground but cannot turn and this prevents you from using the stand to oil the chain or rotate it for any other reason.

Come to find out that when the lowering link is used it changes the geometry of the bike by opening more of a space between the back tire and the muffler allowing enough room for a cross-member. If I would have been using a standard Versys to begin with I would have seen there was not enough room for the cross member to clear between the muffler and back tire when the stand was down. However I didn't have one and "assumed" that it would clear when the stand was up. We all know what happens when we "assume" things. What can I say, I'm stupid for not actually trying one on a standard Versys before making that statement. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

You'd think that after over a year of trial and error I would have known better but everything seemed fine as I am using one on my lowered version without a problem and those that have bought it for the lowered model are OK.

I've decided to turn this venture loose as I have spent way too much money and way, way too much time on this for the meager return I have seen. I have returned all the money including shipping to those that have bought it for the Standard version with an apology for stupidity and wasting their time. I will not build any more unless they are custom per order and certainly not for $189.00.

It's been a long ride and this horse is worn out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
:( I'm sorry it didn't work out.

But for what ever it's worth here's :thumb: for trying.

fitz

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Don,

To bad on the outcome, but again:thumb: for the effort. Something tells me that you are not going to let go of this that easy.

My offer for the beer still stands for January when I am down in your area. I think it is well deserved :cheers:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Sorry this didn't work, Don. You've put in lots of time and I have enjoyed following your progress.

Time to go ride, man!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Don,

To bad on the outcome, but again:thumb: for the effort. Something tells me that you are not going to let go of this that easy.

My offer for the beer still stands for January when I am down in your area. I think it is well deserved :cheers:
I think I just need to sit in a corner and suck my thumb for a while until I can quit feeling sorry for myself. I'm such a crybaby. You're probably right about me not letting go of this but we'll see. I don't give into defeat easily.:cheers:

Let me know when you get to town and we'll for sure down a few.

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks Don for all the hard work and $$ you put in the project. I've almost never have owned a bike without a center stand and love my V to death but it would be a nice addition.
Take a break and go riding!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell of an effort!

And to completely derail your thread, are you planning on going to the pie run in Kyle at the end of this month?
I didn't know anything about Kyle at the end of the month. Is that some kiind of alien planet or something?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I feel for you, man. I have developed stuff for a bike, and know how much work it is. The price of an item is way more than that of the materials.

Good try, and a great idea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts