Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wondering what all the options are available for a center stand for a 2010. Mine was lowered before I bought it, so I'm not sure what was involved, but I notice it has the bracket to extend the rear shock. Some stands say they're not suitable for lowered bikes. Is the lowering problem for this setup or just lowered pegs?

As far as I know, the only three options are T-Rex Racing, SW-Motech, and ConStands. Hepco & Becker only does 2015+ from what I see.

T-Rex is a no-go for my 2010, as I'll outline below. I just found out about ConStands, but they say their stand is not for lowered bikes.

I'd rather not spend the extra $100 on Sw-Motech, and they (or some German distributor of theirs) ticked me off on eBay. They had the stand listed for $225 OBO plus $60 shipping, which is a bit cheaper total than on Twisted Throttle. They rejected my offers of $180 and $200, with no counteroffer. Then I realized that they jacked up the Buy It Now price to $255 if I recall. OK, so maybe they needed to increase the price for some legitimate reason; it happens. Regardless, I offered them $210, and they countered with $230 -- more than the original Buy It Now price! I decided to step away and look in to the options more, but I just checked the listing and the price is back down to $225! WTF!!! Attached screenshot of offers including the $230 counteroffer when the price is currently $225. Anyway, don't want to give them money after that if I don't have to. Or maybe it's a currency exchange issue and they're not messing around with me. Who knows.

Now for the T-Rex story. It was a little over $200 delivered, and considering it's height-adjustable unlike the SW-Motech one for around $300, I figured I'd give it a try despite the reviews that said the instructions are terrible. I'm pretty good at figuring out how to put things together.

The stand arrived, very well-packaged, and it seemed well-built and I was excited to try it out. But man, were those instructions terrible. A couple confusing typos leading me to try to get brackets to line up with bolts they can't, clunky wording, lack of some helpful details, and reference to a picture showing 2015+ instead of the 2008-2014. The deal breaker was the instructions calling for a bolt in the end of a side-to-side tube in the frame behind the engine (not sure what to call that), but I just have a small, off-center, non-threaded hole there (picture attached, and of the stand pieces), and the metal isn't even thick enough to drill and tap and support the stress of a center stand.

So, I called T-Rex. Jackie picked up the phone right away and was very helpful and polite. She had me email pictures of the stand and of my Versys to pass on to management and a technician, which I did, along with specific suggestions on how to correct and improve the instructions. Jackie did call me back the next day and informed me that 2010 is unique with the lack of threads in this location; they checked on a 2009 and a 2011. So, she sent me a return label.

Not sure how the fit and functionality would have been, but I think T-Rex has a decent product just from looking at it, and good customer service. Too bad my 2010 is the problem, or so they say.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,683 Posts
keep informed when your get a proper stand and do highlight any problems encountered. BTW, I have 09 and made my own stand and the details, are somewhere in this forum.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, Trex and their instructions, man. Lucky you got bad ones. I picked up their crash bars and skid plate for my ’18 and the skid plate has no directions available, at all. And the install video on their site really isn’t great.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had extra almost random hardware that came with my TRex centerstand kit, and similarly poor instructions. Also the weld on the spring attachment stud completely failed after using it 2 times. They quickly shipped a replacement bracket and wanted pictures to figure out what went wrong. So good customer service, but the T-Rex racing product experience is a little rough around the edges

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Trex and their instructions, man. Lucky you got bad ones. I picked up their crash bars and skid plate for my ’18 and the skid plate has no directions available, at all. And the install video on their site really isn’t great.
Ha! Actually, I didn't get any instructions. They were missing from the package. But a quick call to Jackie and she emailed me a PDF right away.

Can anyone shed some light on if my Versys being lowered by the rear shock will cause a problem for the center stands other than T-Rex that aren't adjustable in height?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
A lowered bike means the frame is closer to the ground. This in turn can cause two potential problems with center stands. One is that it will require greater force to get the bike up on the center stand since you will be lifting it higher and will have more weight to lift up because you are further away from the pivot point.

The second is the potential of scraping the stand if you really shred the curves on the bike. That is design dependent, but the design is based on a normal ride height.

·
Administrator
8,847 Posts
Best Advice / Good Luggage

I am not saying I don't miss a center stand, but I don't, I had a 07 Versys and now a 2015 650 ABS. Lots of options out there, as to raising for lubing and raising for tire plugging . As to a lowered bike here is a member that adapted the SW Motech on a lowered bike, a 2015
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/219243-stand-sw-motech-center-stand-gen3.html

I made a prop stand out of square aluminum tubing, I can lift either the front or rear wheel off the ground to plug the tire or lube the chain, time involved is about 2 minutes to get it out of my Trekker case and 2 more minutes to raise the rear wheel. At home I use a pit stand.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/125466-stand-prop-onewizard.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts