Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is our Versys 1000 - but I'm guessing that it can happen to most bikes, one way or another - and is the reason that I'm posting it here.

I DID go inspect our 650 Versys for any damage, just in case - and found none.

I went for a ride - and after about an hour into the ride - I notice that the top of the instrument cluster is melted. There's a hole straight thru and it's all ugly around edges.

I've owned more that 50 motorcycles, and never seen anything like this. Maybe the sun shining thru the windshield at just the wrong angle ?

I continued to ride for the remainder of the day - and periodically put a bare hand on that spot and it wasn't even warm. I thought maybe there was an incandescent bulb under there that had MAYBE caused this.

Anyone with an idea is welcome to give their opinion.

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've known it could happen, but have never actually seen it happen.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Looks like my MotoWerks GPS Mount blocks it for me...P1010555 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
961 Posts
That looks horribly like a hot wiring bundle (I do see some wires in the hole). I really don't think the sun did that. I'd yank the housing off and check things out before you burn the bike to the ground or find yourself stranded in the toulies.

I've melted a few things with electrical repairs so this is JMO.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a couple hours of internet searches - and reading similar threads, - I am nearly convinced that this is a windshield issue.

However - it's still under warranty, and I have a good relationship with the local dealer, so I'll at least take it to them for a look-see.

The parts fiche shows a bottom cover, then the instrument cluster, then a top cover (the one that's damaged). Soooo - it does come apart. A replacement top cover is $103, plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would suspect the sun if the bike was parked, stationary, allowing the sun to focus through the screen for a long enough period to heat and melt the dash. But, if I understand correctly, this happened while you were on a ride? By virtue of the MC being in motion and changing directions, turning, leaning, etc, the sun would constantly be changing the point of focus through your screen. I don't think it would be "aimed" at one singular point long enough to cause melting damage.

I would be more suspicious of wiring and electrical under the dash and would give that a very good look.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I would suspect the sun if the bike was parked, stationary, allowing the sun to focus through the screen for a long enough period to heat and melt the dash. But, if I understand correctly, this happened while you were on a ride? By virtue of the MC being in motion and changing directions, turning, leaning, etc, the sun would constantly be changing the point of focus through your screen. I don't think it would be "aimed" at one singular point long enough to cause melting damage.

I would be more suspicious of wiring and electrical under the dash and would give that a very good look.

My 2 cents.
+1 :thumb:

·
Registered
336 Posts
My .02. This happened to me one night when I was attacked by a black helicopter with lasers. It was an epic attack from the sky. Too bad nobody but me was there to see it.

Yes, tequila might have been involved, and no, I wasn't riding that day.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
This is our Versys 1000 - but I'm guessing that it can happen to most bikes, one way or another - and is the reason that I'm posting it here....
I would definitely report this to the dealer and Kawasaki. That could be a safety issue.
I would DEFINITELY go back to your dealer, and/or 'Ma Kawasaki'.

My .02. This happened to me one night when I was attacked by a black helicopter with lasers. It was an epic attack from the sky. Too bad nobody but me was there to see it.

Yes, tequila might have been involved, and no, I wasn't riding that day.
BET you forgot your "tinfoil" hat, didn't you...?

;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts