Super Moderator
20,219 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,406 Posts
SW Motech crash bars / Highway pegs

Trekker cases with a rear cross brace

Look closely, a cross brace between racking, same level as side reflectors

I was asked recently about the highway pegs and supporting the bike in a crash. Notice they are mounted in reverse of the OEM instructions. For good reason, my old 07 went down a couple times, those highway pegs are designed to support your legs and feet, sideways force will bend them, also the bike is top heavy, if it's on it's side , you are picking up 90% of the bike weight until the rubber touches the ground, a two person job. I reverse mounted my highway pegs as the crash bars are just that, for crashes. I use those highway pegs 90% of my riding time. I couldn't ride for more than a hour without them!!

This is the proper way. Thanks @Gigitt

My original mounting of the new for 2015 crash bar mounts by Speedy

And the way they are mounted now

·
Super Moderator
20,219 Posts
I ended up w/ my '08 on me this winter in AZ, in my garage. I'd just returned from riding, ATGATT except for my helmet which I'd just removed. I was checking my oil, and felt it was down a few ounces, so I removed the oil-filler-plug w/ the side-stand down. Checked, added a bit, then re-checked the level while holding it vertical.

Somehow I figured that THAT was a bit of a 'chore', so I moved the brick that I had under my side-stand to bring BIG RED "closer" to vertical [so I could "check and add" easier...]...o_O as I sat on the floor to the right-side of the Versys.

Suddenly (in slow motion...:eek: I felt the bike tip my way and onto me (w/ TUSK panniers I did NOT get the full weight onto me!!!), but I WAS pinned-down as I watched hot oil from the filler-opening pour onto my riding pants right leg while I tried to extricate myself.

I got out from under OK, but could not do much to slow the 'draining' of hot oil until I finger tightened the oil-plug back in, then started to "squeegee" the oil so the floor would have some sort of traction, BIG RED still on its side.

Got the oil MOSTLY cleaned up, then called a riding buddy who lives down the street, who came over and together we got the bike back to standing up!

Later on I continued w/ changing my oil (which had NOT been my ORIGINAL intent!), soaking the leg of the riding pants, then washing them.

Lesson learned? Yup - don't get "cute" while doing a minor maintenance job!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Lesson learned? Yup - don't get "cute" while doing a minor maintenance job!
And I have learned that as a new geezer to be extra careful at the end of a ride. It seems its when Im most vulnerable to mental mistakes and balance issues. Maybe Im tired and let my guard down. Unlike the start of a day ride when Im zoned in where I should be but not so much at the end of a day riding.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts