Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BIKE: Versys 1000 2019 - standard

Hello! Good day! I would like your opinion/insights on this topic.

I plan to have my catalytic removed add pipe mid-link and elbow then the new slip-on pipe.

Does the ECU need to be remapped? What are the negative effects of removing the catalytic without remapping it?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUTS IN ADVANCE! God bless!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes, you'll need a reflash. Steve in Florida has one ready made you can buy. I'm sure someone has a link. He's done a lot of hard work in this regard and I wish I could do it.

With all that said, if you live in California, removing the catalyst is a bad idea (which is why I haven't done it). Police here, especially CHP, specifically look for exhaust mods, and will cite and/or impound your bike. I understand New York is the same if not worse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you'll need a reflash. Steve in Florida has one ready made you can buy. I'm sure someone has a link. He's done a lot of hard work in this regard and I wish I could do it.

With all that said, if you live in California, removing the catalyst is a bad idea (which is why I haven't done it). Police here, especially CHP, specifically look for exhaust mods, and will cite and/or impound your bike. I understand New York is the same if not worse.
Do I need to change my ECU too? Or remapping the stock ECU will do? About that exhaust mods concern it is not a problem here in the Philippines luckily specially when it's a big bike hehe :LOL:

·
Registered
877 Posts
BIKE: Versys 1000 2019 - standard

Hello! Good day! I would like your opinion/insights on this topic.

I plan to have my catalytic removed add pipe mid-link and elbow then the new slip-on pipe.

Does the ECU need to be remapped? What are the negative effects of removing the catalytic without remapping it?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUTS IN ADVANCE! God bless!
you do not need to remap the ECU. the bike will run just great without any changes. I removed the CAT myself and all is well. I have AKRA slip-on that I run without the baffle. If you have a good welder, he can just weld another pipe to replace the CAT section. The ECU will compensate for the CAT removal. Just don't put any K&N or other crappy air filters and you will be just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you do not need to remap the ECU. the bike will run just great without any changes. I removed the CAT myself and all is well. I have AKRA slip-on that I run without the baffle. If you have a good welder, he can just weld another pipe to replace the CAT section. The ECU will compensate for the CAT removal. Just don't put any K&N or other crappy air filters and you will be just fine.
What year model is your v1k sir? How long have you removed your baffle? I am concered about the long term effect of not remapping the ECU to the engine.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Again, I'm in California, and exhaust modifications are against the law. I have not modified my exhaust.

The long term ramifications of modifying your exhaust (without adjustments to programming) are primarily burned exhaust valves and potentially melted pistons.

I purchased my 2016 v1k new in 2018. It now has 40k miles on it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
What year model is your v1k sir? How long have you removed your baffle? I am concered about the long term effect of not remapping the ECU to the engine.
my bike is 2016 model. are you asking about the baffle or the removal of catalytic convertor? they are very different things. I did install a booster plug which enriches the fuel a bit, but have not done much more than this; some O2 sensor modifier from Dynojet. The valves will not burn, the pistons will not melt. this is all an old wife tale. in fact, flashing the ECU is often more dangerous than leaving it alone. It is good from the factory; my bike is not even popping. without CAT the engine can finally BREATHE. V1000 has a long exhaust, so there is enough back pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh so the baffle and catalytic converter are two different parts of the bike? The big ass box is the catalytic converter. How bout the baffle? Is it the one where the O2 sensor is connected?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Typically, baffles are the part of the muffler that reduce sound. The catalyst has a wafer or grid like substrate that is almost always silver in appearance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah I see tried searching it in the web.

I'm kinda having a difficult time deciding haha. Should I risk it and have my catalytic removed with out reflashing the ECU or remove then reflash haha. I really dont wanna risk damaging my engine in the long run 😅 the cost of having it repaired or whatnot im sure is pretty big 😅

·
Registered
281 Posts
A little reading and studying dyno charts would explain all of this . since I have done all of this and the dyno work to prove it. let me give you the highlights.
1) the cat is not very restrictive. I replaced the factory header with a Delkevic, which is a copy of the stock header without the cat. Total HP gain was about 2 hp. Hardly worth the effort to remove the Cat, it is NOT restrictive, when compared to factory head pipe diameter;
2) you won't need to change the fueling, again, the cat is not restrictive.
3) I wish folks who know nothing about ecu flashing, and thinking a booster plug or a fuel controller (dobek / power commander) will do the same as flashing would educate themselves.
Steve

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well, it's ultimately up to you. Personally, I'd call your local shop and inquire about the cost of a top-end rebuild, then compare that to the cost of a reflash.

I'm betting the reflash will quickly look like the bargain choice. Unless, of course, you compare it to remaining stock.

I don't intend to do anything unless my catalyst gets plugged (not counting a slip-on). A compete exhaust is cheaper than a factory cat, as far as I've seen. If I can escape Kalifornia, I may reconsider.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
A little reading and studying dyno charts would explain all of this . since I have done all of this and the dyno work to prove it. let me give you the highlights.
1) the cat is not very restrictive. I replaced the factory header with a Delkevic, which is a copy of the stock header without the cat. Total HP gain was about 2 hp. Hardly worth the effort to remove the Cat, it is NOT restrictive, when compared to factory head pipe diameter;
3) I wish folks who know nothing about ecu flashing, and thinking a booster plug or a fuel controller (dobek / power commander) will do the same as flashing would educate themselves.
Steve
Thank you, Steve. I was hoping you'd chime in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thank you, Steve. I was hoping you'd chime in.
I guess I need to step up my game on the v1000 part of this forum. It's been slow / dead for a long time, so I kinda got in the habit of perusing the 650 side and moving on. Sad in a way, I have a really nice flash for the v1000, imparts lots of smoothess and throttle control, but it has been largely ignored by most v1000 owners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve
So, it's really okay to have my cat removed and there is no need to remap/reflash the ECU?

·
Registered
281 Posts
So, it's really okay to have my cat removed and there is no need to remap/reflash the ECU?

And if you read what I posted you'ld understand that decatting the stock header is a waste of time, the gain (2hp) doesn't warrant that kind of effort.
The idea that the cat in most systems is the point of restriction is IMO incorrect. When the factories build these systems, they are integrated to the final direction the manufacturer wants for that bike. so in the case of the v1000, the 32mm head pipes won't allow more power gains. The cat is matched to that flow level. Removing the cat is, IMO, a waste of time and effort.
I'm pretty sure someone here who has never done dyno testing / tuning will tell me I'm wrong.
Steve

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I guess I need to step up my game on the v1000 part of this forum. It's been slow / dead for a long time, so I kinda got in the habit of perusing the 650 side and moving on. Sad in a way, I have a really nice flash for the v1000, imparts lots of smoothess and throttle control, but it has been largely ignored by most v1000 owners.
To be fair, what I've been taking about here is based a lot on my experience as an automobile tech, and I've never been a motorcycle tech. I may well be completely falling out of my own muffler. I defer to the master in this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And if you read what I posted you'ld understand that decatting the stock header is a waste of time, the gain (2hp) doesn't warrant that kind of effort.
The idea that the cat in most systems is the point of restriction is IMO incorrect. When the factories build these systems, they are integrated to the final direction the manufacturer wants for that bike. so in the case of the v1000, the 32mm head pipes won't allow more power gains. The cat is matched to that flow level. Removing the cat is, IMO, a waste of time and effort.
I'm pretty sure someone here who has never done dyno testing / tuning will tell me I'm wrong.
Steve
Honestly I'm just after the full sound of the V1 that's why I don't want to risk any power loss or damage my engine in the long run hehe

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Steve has me set straight... My information on engine damage was based on old tech, not current fuel injected systems. Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts