Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a real issue with my hand going numb while riding, anyone ever tried any of the gloves that are supposed to help this. QWI Gloves, Shock Tech, ect..

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sorry to say, but getting an operation on my right hand was the only cure for my carpal tunnel which I suffered for far too long with. It took time, but what a difference, tho' I do have to stick to upright position style bikes like the Versys now. Isn't that a lucky thing. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been in IT for 30 years, I know you are right, I should just bite the bullet and get it done. What was the recover time before you could ride again? Thanks

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sorry, but I can't help you there as my recovery time was complicated by an operation to reconnect the ligament onto my thumb that I tore off dropping (or lifting, I'm not sure) my R1200GS. :eek: I only got the carpal op done as they were attacking my hand anyway.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Took me six months to get strength back in my right hand. Fortunately, I am right handed and was able to ride some a few months after the operation. If I had to pull a clutch cable, I doubt that would have happened until after the six months.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Slightly OT since it's not a glove recommendation:
I sit in front a computer for around 12 hours a day. Something that has helped immensely is a Dyna-Flex ball. You get the gyroscope going faster by rotating the wrist and it generates a slight resistance exercise. It really helps keep the wrists strong and flexible. I picked one up for around $20 at a local sporting goods store.

·
Registered
18 Posts
throttle assist

This may be an ignorant suggestion, seeing as how I have no experience with carpal tunnel syndrome, but would a "throttle assist" alleviate the squeezing of the throttle that may cause discomfort. I use one and and find that it dramatically reduced the numbness due to handlebar vibrations.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For sure the throttle assist, I will be adding that this next week. I did add some pads to my gloves to test the QWI glove theory, it did help, I rode about 20 miles and my hands did not go totally numb. Thanks for the advice, I will be trying everything until I have to go under the knife.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also had this problem until my husband read about a guy that started taking glucosamine, chondroitin & MSN. So I tried it and it helped me. This is over the counter and people take it for joint pain. One form is Osteo Bi-Flex, but there are several others out there. I ususally get which ever one is on sale. Just be sure to get the one with the MSN. Might want to ask your doctor first but it sure helped me. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands. After the surgery my doctor told me to go to a hospital store and get a therapy ball. It is what looks like a racketball sized balloon filled with clay. Was told to squeeze ball and massage inscision as much as possible. Did as told and was back riding my dirt bike in 2 weeks(NO JOKE). If you have carpl tunnel go for the surgury or it is just going to get worse. I sure am glad I had it done. Hands don't give me problems any more on the dirt or street.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got heated grips for the increased diameter of the grips. But I hear that the grip tape used for tennis rackets works as well.

·
Registered
665 Posts
+1 on the Grip Puppies. Easily doubled my time before tingles in the hands.

In my case it is tendonitis (tennis elbow) and not carpel tunnel that causes most of my problem but there is a carpel tunnel issue with the right hand...just not enough to where insurance will pay to get it fixed, yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands. After the surgery my doctor told me to go to a hospital store and get a therapy ball. It is what looks like a racketball sized balloon filled with clay. Was told to squeeze ball and massage inscision as much as possible. Did as told and was back riding my dirt bike in 2 weeks(NO JOKE). If you have carpl tunnel go for the surgury or it is just going to get worse. I sure am glad I had it done. Hands don't give me problems any more on the dirt or street.
+1...that's also my experience. Had the surgery done on both hands (about 2 years apart). First surgery was performed by a hand surgeon and second was done by a plastic surgeon. FWIW...the plastic surgeon's incision was about half the size and post op swelling was much less. It took about 6 to 9 months in both cases before the numbness completely went away. After that...no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts