Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All. I did a quick edit on some day trip footage I had from last summer on a section of the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Nova Scotia.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been there a few times, The Cabot Trail and Meat Cove are great rides!!!So the sun does come out in Nova Scotia? :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Slyder, just curious, judging by your music track I wonder...did you ride to Cape Breton from Texas?

I've done Cape Breton twice on a motorcycle, loved it both times. Looks like you had a nice sunny day.

·
Registered
670 Posts
guys, do you now whether there's any reason to stop on Cabot Trail? i mean besides gas and food and looking at the water? this was one of my first, my buddy and i just blitzed it. it was great, no regrets, but my mode of travel has evolved since then. if i ever make a run to Newfoundland, i'll revisit Cabot Trail and i'd hate to have missed something on the second go.

happy to blitz it again otherwise.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I saw this when I stopped on the Cabot Trail and hiked perhaps 15 minutes to Benjies Lake. The road to Meat Cove is worth it, if you're up to the lack of pavement and steep hills. I saw pilot whales in the Gulf of St. Lawrence just by stopping at a vista/rest area and looking down at the water.

Stop at the Cape Breton Highlands National Park Visitors Center and talk to a ranger. That's how I found out about Benjies Lake and the spot where I saw whales. Lots of other places to pull over and just marvel at creation, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
Stop at the Cape Breton Highlands National Park Visitors Center and talk to a ranger.
that's always a smart move! what time of year did you go? we went in late sept/early oct, not sure when would be best for whale watching.

we did stop roadside a few times, mostly to shed clothing as the day warmed. but that gave us time to bask in some glory. we made the side trip to Meat Cove as well, but didn't stray far. i tend lolligag more nowadays, go hiking to waterfalls or vistas or whatever is worth a walk.

thanks for posting Slyder, you're bringing back some memories. :)

1999 -- predigital.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks I needed that

AAhhhhh, End of January and Snowing heavy here. I really needed that video to wake me up out of Hibernation... Yes Summer will be back and open roads to travel Soon. :thumb:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've done in on the Versys in 2009, pics are somewhere around. Fortress Louisbourg is definitely worth stopping at even though it's way of the trail. I then spent a night in Sydney and from there I did the trail in one day. I would have stopped but the weather for the next day wasn't looking good so I rode straight back to Halifax.

Meat Cove was a lot of fun getting to and if I stayed longer I would have camped somewhere around there. Saw the moose as well.

Lot of fun and before I leave Nova Scotia I would love to do it at least once more.

Great video and pics.

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slyder, just curious, judging by your music track I wonder...did you ride to Cape Breton from Texas?

I've done Cape Breton twice on a motorcycle, loved it both times. Looks like you had a nice sunny day.
I think Sprocket nailed it. I'm local to central Nova Scotia. Cabot trail is about a 750 km day trip so I can watch for the weather required. Music track was the local band he identified as Minglewood.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts