Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a stop sign. No traffic just me. And all of a sudden I feel something take over my mind and next thing I know I'm on one wheel and have a big smile on my face. I know it's wrong and shouldn't do this but the V makes me do it. :teetertooter:

·
Registered
237 Posts
The scary part is when you think you've navigated a slow turn onto a road in second and then you goose it......Only to find you were in first!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Short wheel base high center of gravity. My Buell was the same way. Like ZX6RTraded said grabbing a hand full of throttle when a gear (or 2) lower will "Sky" the front end.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm terrified of the thought of popping up the wheel. Damn thing will go right over on me I'm sure. I sometimes take off aggressively, but have come nowhere near popping the front end. I think I would have to grown up doing wheelies on dirt bikes or something to be comfortable with that.

Would like to watch one of you though:clap:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also get amped on versys wheelies. I think maybe four feet is the highest I've gone so far. I'm still scared to pop it up really good but those little ones just get me more and more curious to actually try to get them down. Anyone have any good tips on the easiest and fastest way to pop em up and practice on the versys?

·
Registered
805 Posts
first gear start rolling let off so the nose dips a bit and then get back on the gas and it goes right up with no help from the clutch. At least that's what works for me. I let my buddy (trusted and far more experienced than me buddy) ride my v, and he was able to bring the front wheel up in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear in quick succession. Its one of those things if your not comfortable doing it, maybe you shouldn't do it, but I guess you gotta learn somehow. Just be Super careful the V is a very light twitchy bike. The torque makes it easy to give it a little too much.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Think maybe I'll try wrapping my V in bubble wrap first before really practicing. Ha! Thanx for the tip mr. Thomas. Wish me luck. Versys or bust!

·
Super Moderator
19,772 Posts
I'm terrified of the thought of popping up the wheel. Damn thing will go right over on me I'm sure. I sometimes take off aggressively, but have come nowhere near popping the front end. I think I would have to grown up doing wheelies on dirt bikes or something to be comfortable with that.

Would like to watch one of you though:clap:
My suggestion: ALWAYS have your rear brake lever 'covered' when you start a wheelie, as you can bring the front DOWN w/ a quick jab on the rear brake.
(I'm also told your front brake will do that TOO, as long as the front wheel's turning.)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm at a stop sign. No traffic just me. And all of a sudden I feel something take over my mind and next thing I know I'm on one wheel and have a big smile on my face. I know it's wrong and shouldn't do this but the V makes me do it. :teetertooter:
So true... Except for the traffic - I'm almost never alone since I'm a daily commuter, approx. a total of 80 km, back and forth to work. Next year I'm turning 60, I should know better but I cannot help myself even though I try.
At least a couple of wheelies a day might not keep the doctor away - but they will keep me happy.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
So true... Except for the traffic - I'm almost never alone since I'm a daily commuter, approx. a total of 80 km, back and forth to work. Next year I'm turning 60, I should know better but I cannot help myself even though I try.
At least a couple of wheelies a day might not keep the doctor away - but they will keep me happy.
I'm 67 and popped an inadvertent wheelie a while back cranking it hard from 1st to 2nd... It was a loooong and low one but it just made my day!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Be careful if you traveling to Florida. They can seize your bike for "Unsafe Behavior" if they want, From what I read while there it seems a "Grab Bag" of things that the Officer can site you for and then BAM your bike's on the hook and you're walking! seems kind of illegal to me but they got the guns and courts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts