Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First rule of riding in the rain, for me, is don't, yet I got stuck in a heavy downpour last night. The V1K was flawless and the rain gear did an admirable job keeping me mostly dry. Only my hands and feet got wet but no big deal. The issue was I couldn't see!

The darn helmet shield and motorcycle windscreen was completely fogged up and covered in rain. The glasses I wear were also fogged up and wet. I left my helmet visor open and lowered my glasses so that I could see over them but then the rain drops were hitting my eyes. I would have pulled over but there was either no or a very narrow shoulder. Really didn't want to end up being a hood ornament. I just ended up following a car ahead of me staying between the tail lights. Literally couldn't see anything else.

My question is, what do you do? Can't use the RainX product on the plastic windscreen or helmet visor. Not sure my glasses are compatible with that either. Is there something else you use in situations like this?

·
Administrator
8,485 Posts
I am not too sure on Rain X products but on worst case senario I would wet the internal part of the helmet visor to avoid any fogging. There are quite a number of products on-ine to prevent forgging of visor and glass . Never tried so far and don't usually ride on heavy down pour.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Been there - done that.
It is especially worse if you are warm and the outside air is colder. Keep the inside of your visor clean. I use "Clearwipe" lens cleaner sachets and keep a few in my jacket pocket. They are like small hand wipes in a sealed packet. Also great for the phone or computer screen.
Breath through your nose or slowly as it is your moist out breath that causes the inside of your visor to mist up. Glasses make it worse.

Don't open your visor. Crack it a little and find a way of letting the cooler air in while keeping the rain out. Make sure that your helmet exhaust vents are open. Preparation is the key.

RainX does work for a while but directing your expiration away from the visor is the key. Some helmets these days have visor pegs ready for a Pinlock insert. What is a Pinlock Visor insert? | Pinlock

·
Registered
499 Posts
Get a pinlock visor and insert for your helmet. There is nothing you can do to a regular visor that will compare. Believe me, I tried everything. Some things work but very short term and have to be reapplied daily.

As for the windscreen, you should really be looking over the windscreen, not through it. In that case a fogged windscreen won’t matter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Brockie, good call about the pinlock. When well fitted they are fantastic. When fitted poorly (not sealed evenly) they are far worse, so make sure it fits and you are all set.

Otherwise there is a face mask called 'Fog Off' with a breathing tube that exits below the chin so outside the helmet.

For a rider with a 'rule' to not ride in the rain, carrying one of those gimp masks may be a bit of overkill, but a night of riding fully fogged up is pretty miserable.

·
Registered
09 v650, 00'r1150gs, 83' r80rt
254 Posts
back in the old days, people would take a thin film of soap and apply it to the insides of their windshields/windows/goggles. etc. The idea being the same as any anti fog stuff, it keeps the lens clear.
How I deal with this issue is simple. While keeping chin vents on helmet etc open and reach up and whipe back of glove on lens if it gets too bad. Keep lid lifted up just a bit as others have said.
Wearing a face mask like OX-34 said isnt a bad idea, but just exhaling through your nose can fog up regardless. Helps reduce allot though.

If I was you, Id experiment on which variations of things will help to make this stop in most conditions. We probly dont always wear the same gear all the time so experimenting might help you figure out under most situations works best for you.

·
Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
676 Posts
I barely crack open one side of the visor. Not even fully cracked open. Does the trick for me. That’s my cold weather technique when fogging is worst for me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Brockie, good call about the pinlock. When well fitted they are fantastic. When fitted poorly (not sealed evenly) they are far worse, so make sure it fits and you are all set.
What I do with mine, is once I think I have the pinlock insert fit properly, is take a post-it note and push a corner between the visor and the insert all the way around. If it fits between them very easily, I adjust it. When adjusted properly, it works like nothing else. The only time I have to adjust it is when I remove the insert to clean it a few times a year. But yeah, if the seal isn't tight, then it's pretty much useless.

·
Registered
440 Posts
In the spring and fall I use a pinlock visor. In temps approaching freezing I add a breath box to my helmet (Scorpion AT950).

For the outside of the visor, I clean it with Meguire’s Ultimate Quik Wax and a micro-fiber cloth, which leaves an invisible hydrophobic coating behind. I also clean my glasses and windshield with this as well. Rain drops bead up and run off without a trace, road spray takes longer to build up, eventually requiring a wipe.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
the pinlock feature will be a must
I'm mixed on the pinlock as I wear glasses. Tried it on my last helmut and it adds one more layer of clear plastic lens to look through. Its not a real vacuum between the visor and the pinlock lens like a home window pane of glass. I drove professionally for a while and found how clean your windshield is greatly affects how fatigued you get. Now I do a combo of the things others here recommended. I clean the visor itself with an eye glasses cleaner cloth only( sometimes with Plastix clear plastic cleaner) instead of a regular auto microfibre, less swirling and the water beads more as the surface has less friction. Wax sounds good on the outside but Ive never tried as Im weary of adding more things to look through. Soapy water on the inside, old trick that works like we used to do on old cars with crappy windshield de-fogging. Have to look through soapy film though. Also anyone who dives underwater knows a bit of spit rubbed around on the inside glass of the mask or googles reduces fogging. Breath box works for real cold, we use it for riding snowmoblies. How you breathe inside the helmut is the key I find for the fogging and cracking the visor a little as long as its not raining too hard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
RainX for Plastic works quite well for me. Not sure if they're still making it or it may be hard to find. Fogging is bigger issue for me. Sometimes cleaning with shaving cream or Pledge furniture polish works. Pinlock didn't work for me. Most times just cracking open the face shield is my go-to.
Liquid Fluid Material property Gas Electric blue

1 - 12 of 12 Posts