Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted elsewhere, I just had my rear sprocket and chain replaced. Happy with the results, however: may/not be coincidence, but since that modification, I can rarely get the bike in neutral, with the kickstand down and engine off. That's how I typically get started when the engine is cold - key on, pop into neutral, start and idle for a minute or 2. More often than not, can't do it now; simply goes from first to second.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just a little more info. Can you get the bike in neutral later in the ride or when you get home before you shut the bike off?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a little more info. Can you get the bike in neutral later in the ride or when you get home before you shut the bike off?
Yes, once the bike is running, I can get it into neutral. Makes me wonder if it's electronic - perhaps related to the kickstand kill function, although I can put down the kickstand, in neutral and it continues to run.

I tried rolling the bike a few inches, as I know that can cause the same problem; no joy.

·
Registered
445 Posts
In the meantime, how about this start sequence. Get on the bike, key in and on, clutch pulled in, kickstand up, start bike. Get to neutral and put kickstand down while it warms up.
Or.... get in neutral before you shut the bike off at the end of your ride. Unless you are parked on a hill, it should not matter if bike is in neutral during storage.
The guy before me left the bike in gear all the time. When it was time to go he just got on the bike, kickstand up, clutch in and started it. Luckily, here in Tucson our warm up time is about 30-60 seconds thanks to the V being fuel injected. I now do the same thing - for me it is just not liking that monster clunk when you put it in to first from neutral.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Check for proper chain slack. It should be easily nudged into neutral from 1st gear with engine stopped, when it is then in fact impossible to shift up to 2nd from 1st without having the rear wheel rotate fast enough... How's your engine oil and also your clutch cable slack adjustment?

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
I was going to make the same suggestion as invader did. Sounds like your new chain might be a BIT tight....

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
when was your oil changed ?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Demo'd a Harley recently that had just the opposite problem. Getting neutral with the bike on was impossible. Turn it off and it snicked right in. Not sure how people deal with that. It would drive me flibbin nutz!

·
Registered
638 Posts
+1 on the tightness issue. I just had mine in the shop and questioned them on my chain slack, and they warned me that any tighter and this issue may occur. Last year I was having an issue on not being able to start the V while in gear with the stand up. I followed advice here on the forum, uncoupled the kill switch assembly, sprayed with electronic contact oil or WD-40, and voila, could start again whilst in gear.

My sequence for shut down is put in 1st, and deploy the stand to kill the engine. Start up is to flip it out of 1st to N, start and let run for a minute, mount and put up the stand, then put in gear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check for proper chain slack. It should be easily nudged into neutral from 1st gear with engine stopped, when it is then in fact impossible to shift up to 2nd from 1st without having the rear wheel rotate fast enough... How's your engine oil and also your clutch cable slack adjustment?
Thanks, Invader (and others). I slackened the chain, slightly, and reduced the clutch cable play - success!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts