Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a used 2012 two weeks ago. I am 210 pounds. I believe it's on the factory setting. In any case I tried to adjust the preload with the supplied wrench. The wrench just jeeps slipping off. I have it on the side stand, are you supposed to unload the suspension. I was trying to go 1 notch softer, so one would think that would be ft ge easier of the two adjustments.

As far as the dampening mine doesn't seem to "click" is a click one full rotation?

**Fixed the problem, went to Cycle Gear and bought a 12" spanner wrench that's on sale for $8. Struggled with busted knuckles and yes I used the mickey mouse extension for leverage. Took 1 try and baout 5 seconds with the newly aquired wrench!!!!

Thanks to all that responded

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
A click is one notch. I adjusted mine with the factory tool. I had to fiddle it a little but it worked. It will help to unload the suspension.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The factory spanner is too large. I made one at work but you can get one at Harbor Freight. It's a pain that Kawasaki put the wrong tool in the kit but what ya going to do?

BTW if you keep trying you will end up with busted knuckles...I know

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you have a dremel, you can grind a little metal away to make it grab better, its what I did.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Kawa's does work but don't care for it much.
Bought one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/SHOCK-SPANNER-WRENCH-ZINC/dp/B002OK1SW8/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1297721642&sr=8-33

I bought a used 2012 two weeks ago. I am 210 pounds. I believe it's on the factory setting. In any case I tried to adjust the preload with the supplied wrench. The wrench just jeeps slipping off. I have it on the side stand, are you supposed to unload the suspension. I was trying to go 1 notch softer, so one would think that would be ft ge easier of the two adjustments.

As far as the dampning mine doesn't seem to "click" is a click one full rotation?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
No problems here with supplied tool and extention (flattened sleeve). Hold it secure on preload adjuster with one hand, and rotate with other hand... Rebound damping adjuster has perceivable steps in its rotation. Spray some penetrating lube first, on preload and on damping adjusters.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The factory spanner is too large. I made one at work but you can get one at Harbor Freight. It's a pain that Kawasaki put the wrong tool in the kit but what ya going to do?

BTW if you keep trying you will end up with busted knuckles...I know
Wrong, wrong and wrong.

It wasn't easy but I used the OEM spanner to adjust mine and didn't bust my knuckles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 on this. It's made by Drag Specialties and you can get one from BikeBandit.

Sure you can get the wrench that comes in the toolkit to work if you try hard enough but IMO it's like everything else in the toolkit....for emergency use only.

Why fight with crappy tools when the right ones are cheap. This makes it soooo much easier.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I think they changed the size of the spring collar on the 2012 and later. I am not the olny one who has had problems with this.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I placed a screwdriver between the spanner and the shock collar. It worked pretty well, kept it from sliding off. The screwdriver is just a spacer, anything would work to space the spanner away from the shock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts